Help with PIC project

mbasile35

Joined Nov 2, 2011
Hey everyone

I'm looking to design a circuit around a pic MCU and I need a little kick in the right direction to get going. Basically, the circuit is going to be used for a game. If you've ever seen the game where people put a bottle on top of a pvc pipe and try to knock it off with a frisbee then you'll know what i'm talking about. I want the illuminate the pvc pole with RGB leds. The pole will be one color during normal play. A sound sensor will be used to detect the frisbee hitting the pole. When the sound sensor picks up a hit, the pole will flash red. An IR emitter and detector pair will be used to detect the presence of the bottle. If the bottle it not present for more than a certain amount of time, then the pole with cycle red (sort of like a police beacon, or hockey goal lamp) I want to achieve this affect by lining the pole with 6 or 7 independent lines of 5mm RGB leds. So, i know i need a PIC with timing capabilities, at least 2 inputs, 18-21 outputs (To drive the R, G, and B of the 6 or 7 RGB led arrays) but i can't be sure that i have it all figured out. Any help with selecting the cheapest pic possible would be great. Also any suggestions on my project are also appreciated.

Thanks Mike

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
A relatively cheap PIC, that i knew, with 18-21 ports was the 16f886 with 28 PDIP footprint. You would still need 2 more ports for sound sensor and opto-coupler.

It is quite an ambitious project and if I were doing it I'd divide them into 4 stages:;)

1. Make sure all the RGB LED are working right.
2. The sound sensor is working right with the LED.
3. The opto-coupler is working right.
4. combining all 3 and make the final test.

Allen