help with lm35 circuit needed

ddonn

Joined Feb 10, 2010
Yes, I have a copy of datasheet. I checked the calculations for resistor values and it says to divide Vs by 50uA instead of 10E-6 stated on the circuit i constructed so i'll try that

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Ask your instructor/professor why the circuit on the website does not agree with the datasheet for the LM35.

Ra is only used when a negative supply is also used. See page 1 of the datasheet.

ddonn

Joined Feb 10, 2010
Unfortunately it is a research only project so help from lecturer is not an option. I need to measure in the minus degree range also so i take it i need a plus and minus supply???

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
That is correct; you need a bipolar supply. (+V and -V)

Whatever supply you use, you will need to calculate the resistor as the datasheet states:
R1 = -V/50uA
So, if you had a +/-5v supply, then:
5v/50uA = 100k Ohms - or basically, 20k Ohms per volt of -V.

[eta]
Actually, there are more applications circuits in the datasheet starting page 7. Figure 7 might appeal to you for its' simplicity, but the diodes' Vf will change over temperature, and I frankly doubt the circuits' accuracy. If the temp range isn't extreme or not critical, you might just ignore the variations.

Remember that the LM35 requires at least 4v across it in order to give a valid output. A 1N4148/1N914 diode will drop about 460mV with a 50uA current, and about 380mV with a 10uA current at room temperature - so that circuit would require 5V minimum.

Last edited: