Help with LM 3915 Dot/Bar Driver

joe426

Joined Aug 11, 2009
I'm trying to make a VU meter using a lm3915 dot/bar driver using this circuit:

A few questions:

• How can the 12V VCC be connected to the anode of each LED and not blow them up? Because if only 1 is on...then isn't the LED getting the full 12 volts? Or is there something I'm not seeing?
  • This schematic is reccomended by NI, but it appears some people modify it:
  • This meter looked like it works well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDZFk5os5Pw but the schematic is quite different... http://bit.ly/yVF3V If I followed that schematic, do you think everything would still work?
Thank you for your help!

Joe Green

joe426

Joined Aug 11, 2009
I'm a bit of a noob, so bear with me. So current limiting means that although they have 12v coming in, they only receive the needed amount of current so they won't explode or anything?

Also, still looking for an answer on the second question please! Thanks!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The features section of the data sheet - you need this - indicates operation with 1.2 volt FS input. That is probably pretty close to the audio level out of your sound card (is that your PC source?).

joe426

Joined Aug 11, 2009
Yes, audio is from the soundcard. The datasheet says the current is adjustable from 1 to 30 mA. What if I want to run 2 LEDs on each output. Do I have to use a relay to access another power source or...is there a way to get more current for an additional LED or two?

Thanks for your help.

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
If the current is adjustable, you can run 2 LED's easily running them in series and current adjusted to 20mA. If you need to use more LED's, you can use transistors. Using relays will make it like a typewriter noisy thing with a sound input.

You can also try KA2281 which is an IC used in Audio level indicators with minimum components. It can have stereo inputs.