help with induction motor.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I am guessing that is the blower motor forma furnace?

If so all you need to do is connect the two wires you are using now in parallel with the other two.

The reason it keeps clicking off once it gets some speed is because you are putting power to the start winding not the run winding. The start winding only gets power while the motor is getting up to speed. After that the centrifugal switch shuts it off and it runs off of the main run windings only.

By switching the two wires around on the start winding when they are connected to to the run winding will determine which direction the motor spins when it starts.

The round black thing is the thermal protection device. If the motor gets too hot it will shut it off until it cools down.

irishron40

Joined Feb 26, 2014
thank you. just tio make sure. each winding has 2 wires attached . do you mean that the power supply should go to the 2 wires comming from the run winding? and then connect the capasitor to the two wires commiong from the start winding?

sorry , but im new to this sort of stuff lol

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
If it was a furnace blower motor at one time it more than likely was a 4 pole motor so it would run at around 1425 RPM on 50 Hz or 1725 on 60 Hz power.

If not the next best guess would be that its a 6 pole motor so the speed would be around 900 RPM on 50Hx or 1075 on 60 Hz.

irishron40

Joined Feb 26, 2014
thank you. all i was told that it was of a mark55 toploader washing machine.

how do i know what is the HZ? I have a multy tester but not sure how to check that. also how can I tell if its a 4 pole motor?

your help has been much appreciated. this is a great site.

i wanna use it for my homemade tablesaw. the blade should have a bout 3500 rpm, so i will make that with smaller pulley on the blade

thjx

ron

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
If this is to be for a table saw, you had best go back fishing for a regular 3450 rpm motor... and use a 1:1 pully set...

The one you have, with an adequate pully set to achieve the speed you want, with any oomph left to cut wood, will only quite quickly drop out of run and vaccilate the start switch just like the one whose problem you just solved did...

irishron40

Joined Feb 26, 2014
is it true that if capasitor is on run winding insted of the starter winding that motor would run slower? or would it then not work at all?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you apply full continuous voltage to a start winding, you will burn it out.
The RPM is decided by the pole count, either fixed or windings used in a series/parallel combination for various speeds.
If was from a washing machine, I doubt if it was 3450
Max.

irishron40

Joined Feb 26, 2014
thank you it has been running for 20 min without a prob. how do i check what is start winding please.

if it was on the wrong winding , would that also affect the rpm?

thx

ron

Last edited:

irishron40

Joined Feb 26, 2014

this is how i connected it after rechecking.

i read that on single fase motors the main winding has mostly red and black wire. the other 2 wires i had were yellow and blue.

so my quess is that i seeing i have used red and black that that would be indeed the main winding.

Last edited:

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
If you had / have an end-bell off the motor, look down its axis...

A 3450 rpm motor, will have 2 major coils 180° across from one another, and two lesser coils on 90's between them, also 180° apart, for a total of 4 coils...

A 1750 motor, will have 4 major coils, at 90° intervals around the stator, with 4 lesser start coils between them, also 90° apart.

If all else fails, start coils are of a smaller diameter wire...

irishron40

Joined Feb 26, 2014
just checked it Patratking.

the outer 4 coiles have plastic on them and are thicker then the 4 inside ones. so what does this mean in connection with rpm speed?
also noticed a but of rust on metal plates. can i sand this off?

here is the photo of windings

thx

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
OK that is a 1725 motor... a total of 8 coils...

Yes, you can lightly sand the laminations... the rotor bushing in the bottom must be kept clean... Stuff a clean lintfree cloth in it to keep sanding dust out... Just be dang sure to vacuum out all the dust, and be sure all your end-play washers are put back where they came from...

It wouldn't hurt to infuse a little light oil -- NOT 3-in-one !! into the packing around the rotor bushings. 3-n-1 turns to foul-smelling glue and then concrete, in the normal heat of the motor.

Last edited: