Help with identifying part Please

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ra1ph, Jun 21, 2011.

  1. ra1ph

    Thread Starter Active Member

    Jan 5, 2010
    Can anyone one help me out in identifying the component D3 in the picture ? The marking on the diode is MCC BE. I've had a look on the MCC website but am having no luck.

    D2, which I have removed is the diode that has burned out and I am wondering if a novice like myself would be able to repair the board. The board looks pretty damaged to me. Is there much involved in a repair like this?

    Thanks in advance

    I took the photo with a camera phone but will be able to post a better one later if required.
  2. ra1ph

    Thread Starter Active Member

    Jan 5, 2010
    For anyone that is interested, I managed to get the component identified. It is a SMBJ12CA, Transient Voltage Suppressor. I've order a few of these

    Now, Could someone help me out for the second part of my query regarding repairing the board? Will I be able to manage it with a few hand tools?

  3. Dyslexicbloke

    Well-Known Member

    Sep 4, 2010
    I'v tried this sort of thing several times and failed almost as many .... But then I am just mucking about with electronics as a hobby and not that good at it I suspect.

    That said ... your problem will be if the board is multi layer and there is dammage to internal layers you cant get at.
    If your lucky and can find the tracks, or have a circuit to work from, you may be able to bridge out burned tracks with wires.

    I also suspect that if your equipment isnt working then there is more dammage than just the supressor. These usually sit between an IO pin and ground to provide protection. The lack of one shouldnt stop the channel from working it would just leave it vanerable to spikes.

    What I am getting at is that whatever blew the supressor has probably done deeper dammage and just replacing the obviously dammaged part may not work.

    Sorry I cant be more help