help with Husky jump starter

Thread Starter

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
228
I bought a jump starter for my car the guy saidf it worked but obviously it doesnt.

Its 12v 500AMP OUTPUT and It tested 12v output. (how to test amps?)
other then that the lights come on but it sure doesnt jump any cars?
 

Thread Starter

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
228
OK. MIGHT AS WELL take it apart and salvage something good in it. the bats still good you think?
 

Thread Starter

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
228
yeah just checked the old fashin way with a bar of metal. barely anything

maybe it can be rebuilt.
 

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
186
All the above is true but if you was able to get even a spark out of the SLA then maybe all is not lost w/ it.

Get a real battery charger and trickle/pulse charge it,see if it will hold a charge.

It maybe the charging circuit in the booster itself is bad or just not sufficient to keep a charge on a older SLA.

Just my 2 cents.

-luvv-
 

Thread Starter

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
228
I was thinking it was the charging system. I dont know how many times thats happened on other stuff.
this jumper is only 2 years old
 

Thread Starter

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
228
would it hurt to charge it with a 12v 700mah wall adapter?
its the one that came with it. i hooked it directly to the batt
 

Thread Starter

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
228
i took at a batt from the jump starter and hook it to a 12v 700mah trickle.
caps started shooting off the hole over the sells where you put in water

Why did it do this
and why doesnt it do that when its in the unit?

is it because theres nothing to hold the plate on the batt cover so they pop off instead of epanding and leaking?

it has rubber caps over the holes
 

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
186
The vent caps popped off because gas built up faster then could be slow released.

In the days before maintenance free SLA batteries it was common to remove the caps and top off electrolyte before or after a charge.

There is plenty of different types of lead acid batteries and even more types of chargers.

Without knowing more about the battery or charger i would say don't worry about the venting.

If it's boiling acid out the vents then you are charging it too fast or hard try a different charger on its slowest setting.

Hook it up outside away from children and small animals and just watch it charge from a distance.

After a hour or two and no fire unplug the charger and test the battery if it's taking a charge go for a full run till the charger kicks off.

*disclaimer* if you are not comfortable w/ the possibility of catastrophic failure, don't go any farther..just go buy a replacement of the same size and type.
Myself I've earned a redneck engineering degree from the school of hard knox.. so I'm always prepared for fire, explosion and general bodily harm..

Good luck,

-luvv-
 

#12

Joined Nov 30, 2010
18,076
Bubbling indicates that the battery is fully charged...especially if ALL the cells start bubbling at about the same time. If one cell never bubbles, that's the dead cell.
 

hwy101

Joined May 23, 2009
91
dead cells can usually be revived by adding distilled water (NOT TAP WATER)
check your hardware store for Distilled Water.
 
Top