help with FET orientation

jakebrown5

Joined Aug 17, 2007
Hi, this is my first post here. Can anyone help a n00b out with this schematic: http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=119?

I don't know much about electronics and I thought replicating this circuit would be both fun and educating. My question is with the JFETs--Q11, Q12, and Q13-- I've already found that they are 2SK30A-Y but I don't know which are the source and which are the drain legs.

Also for the BJTs am I correct in saying that the legs with arrows are the emitters?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
The key is to get your hands on a manufacturer's datasheet for the device.

That should have the information you seek along with additional information on the electrical characteristics of the device.

hgmjr

jakebrown5

Joined Aug 17, 2007
I looked through some datasheets for the 2SK30 models and they call them MOSFETs rather than JFETs.......does this mean that S and D aren't interchangable?

-Thanks

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
The symbols in the schematic are consistent with the representation for JFET as beenthere mentioned.

Don't know where you are getting the mosfet description.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I vote that the 2SK30A is a JFET. The evidence cited is the schematic symbol and the fact that schematic appears dated since it uses 1458 Op-amps which date from the mid 80's if not earlier.

hgmjr

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
In the days of MPF102's, a MOSFET was still a small-signal device with a humongus input resistance. I remember getting then in T)-92 with a piece of spring wire arranged to short the input pins to prevent ESR damage.

jakebrown5

Joined Aug 17, 2007
Yes the schematic is from the late 70's. I have decided to use sockets for those FETs so I can switch their orientation if needed. Thanks for the help. One more thing: Is S3 a momentary switch?