Help with fake bomb for Airsoft

SiLK

Joined Oct 9, 2008
NOTE:
This is only intended for the purpose of Airsoft/Paintball and WILL not be used in any way, shape or form! Bombs are dangerous, illegal and wrong!

Objective:
To make a a FAKE bomb for the purpose of Airsoft/Paintball.

The Bomb:
The bomb unit must have:
A switch to turn the unit on
A switch to "arm" the unit after timer is set
A LCD display to show the time countdown
A loud buzzer/horn to go off it the timer reaches 0:00
A numeric keypad to input the time the timer will run for (up to 2 hours)
A set of 3 wires that can be cut (replaced after every use). Once the corect wire is cut the bomb will be disarmed (I guess that 3 switchs would be needed that would be hidden so each game they could be configured for a different wire). If the wrong wire is cut the buzzer/ horn needs to sound.

Thank you for any help in this project!
SiLK

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
If you want to do something like this, then you should learn how to use a microcontroller.You can easily hook up a character module and a keypad to a PSoC microcontroller.

I use one of these for smaller microcontroller projects that I want to get working in a day. Otherwise, I use STM32 arm microcontrollers for my heavier duty tasks.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=428-1585-ND

Steve

P.S. I'm assuming your fairly young and cost might be an issue. To be honest, making custom electronics is fairly expensive.

SiLK

Joined Oct 9, 2008
24. It is a slight issue as I have bills but once its finish the site owner would most likely put some money towards it. I realise this is a demanding project but its something that would be a great achievement and very rewarding to use on the weekends when I play.
Thank you for the post. I will start looking here.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Silk,

Not a problem! It sounds like a fun project, I wish you all the best with it. I suggest the PSoC microcontroller because it is truely one of the easiest microcontrollers to pick up and the software is free. They have lots of example code for the peripherals, which is very handy.

If you need help with the programming or how to build up the circuit, feel free to ask here.

Steve

SiLK

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Thank you Steve! Just have to work out which project to start first and take it from there. Lol! Im such I will have more questions later in the build.
Cheers

bobmcm

Joined Jan 11, 2007
Silk and also: NGALAXYTIMMYO,

I don't mean to criticize your proposed design,and no disrespect to the senior members aproach.

AS a lifelong junk box parts supply and no budget builder, nI would like to suggest another aproach.

Instead of an key pad, Led or LCD readout screen,mini PLC or time delay,and
other components. please let me suggest another cheaper way.
, Go to Atomation Direct, (A good PLC source),Amoung their many time delay relays is # KT-V4S C-D, Adjustable on delay,off delay and other modes
1/16 th. Din size DC powered with built in key pad, time set, and count down display,and many other features.

This one relay, or another with other features could be about 80% of your
project, all for a great big $ 91.50

As to the loud horn when you cut the wrong wire, if you want to E-mail me,
I can help you with real explosion sound, as lowd as you want.

Also, if you want, I can help you make your Fake bomb TALK.
It could say" You are dead, now lay down" ,or play "TAPS", or anything else.
If any of this interests you, send me a E-mail and I will help you if I can.

NOTE' As far as designing inividual electronic circuits, one of the senior members can probably help you much better than I can.
When I need a circuit designed, that is where I will go.

Bob McMillen-- bobmcm

bob_mcmillen@yahoo.com

bobmcm

Joined Jan 11, 2007
Dear Mr. Chung,

You got me there.
I sure can't argue $ 9.00 instead of $ 91.00

If we can keep this going maybe we can get the parts house to pay us to use their parts.

On a more serious note, I really apreciate the information.
Could you be kind enough to give me the source?

Thank you in advance.

Bob

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Hi Bobmcm,

On a more serious note, I really apreciate the information. Could you be kind enough to give me the source?
Do you mean where one can get "for $9 total a microcontroller, LCD, keypad & switch" or you think this target budget is unrealistic?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
The keypad/timer/LCD seems to be the most complex part of SiLK's project. Let's assume (s)he doesn't want to get into programing. How about hacking a digital kitchen-timer... $5-$20US. 99min-59sec (usually) LCD display, two-button time set+reset, and a start/stop button. The output switching could be taken from the alarm buzzer circuit. The On/Off switch and arming switch are simple wiring. The three-wire trick could be simple digital logic with DIP switches to alter the trigger wire.

Ken

Pietenpol

Joined Dec 27, 2008
My first thoughts are...to have wires that can be cut, you would have to have some sort of circuit to analyze or puzzle to solve that would give you the correct color to cut. In that case, the keypad would just be "window dressing" it could be a sticker even. If you wanted it to be a functional keypad, I would set it up like the old game with the colored marbles. 'bomb squad' enters a 4 digit number. 4 leds light up. red=correct number in wrong position and green is correct number in correct position. You could even combine the 2 ideas and once the combination is found a final light shows you the correct wire to clip.