help with driving lamps from a LED driver

ruprecht

Joined Mar 25, 2004
Thank you all.

I'll grab the components today and see how I go. I assume it's Ok to substitute 4N25 or 4N28 optos, and I'll get some 2N7000 FETs.

Also the cap is just a standard ceramic?

I'll try the simulated one first. Soren, if I don't have any joy with eblc1388's circuit, I'll try yours.

Last edited:

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
I assume it's Ok to substitute 4N25 or 4N28 optos, and I'll get some 2N7000 FETs.

Also the cap is just a standard ceramic?
Yes, those parts will work fine.

There is a subtle reason for using a MOSFET instead of a plain transistor in this application.

ruprecht

Joined Mar 25, 2004
Thanks eblc1388, that works fine. Now to take that and extend it with an etched board for 6 of them!

Attached 2 photos - one at 0 setting on the phidget and another at about 60%.

Cheers for the help everybody!

Attachments

ruprecht

Joined Mar 25, 2004
And attached a candidate PCB (for home etching) for a 6-way driver.

Any comments much appreciated. The thin yellow lines are jumper wires, as I'll be etching single sided. The red and green get etched, the yellow not.

Connectors are a D15 from the Phidget, in 6 AK pairs, a standard PC molex socket and 2 SIL headers for connecting the lamps.

Attachments

Last edited:

ruprecht

Joined Mar 25, 2004
Sorry eb, see what?

If you mean that those pads are unconnected, that's because it wasn't possible on a single layer design to route them directly to the lamps. Hence the skinny yellow jumper lines.

Or did you mean something else? Sorry if I'm being spectacularly dense!

-- james

*edit* oh good god, yes you're right, those pads should be coming off the MOSFET source, not pin 6 on the opto! What a **** I am! Thank you :) And no, I always sleep on my boards at least once before I etch them, helps with clarity.

ruprecht

Joined Mar 25, 2004
eb, what do you use for simulation? I bought Livewire (home version) a long time ago in the UK but I get no response from New Wave Concepts on my registration activation so can't run it.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
eb, what do you use for simulation? I bought Livewire (home version) a long time ago in the UK but I get no response from New Wave Concepts on my registration activation so can't run it.
You should have come to this forum much much sooner. :)

Many here in this forum use the FREE LTSpice for simulation. It is extremely powerful and does not has any restriction on number of nodes. It also has a dedicated Yahoo Group(requires registration to be member) where there are common & special component models and examples available.

Enter "LTSpice" into Google will give you the link to the Linear Technology website where you can download the software.