Help with digital clock...

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Bill_marsden has a clock diagram you will want to look at. Search the forum for clock circuits and you will find plenty.

Ive found the diagram:

eehelp

Joined Apr 21, 2010
I've been looking all over for some examples, but I can't find any. I have to use 74161's for this project unfortunately.

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
the posted diagram, looks to me at least, like an overall architecture that you can use with any device essentially.

what it is showing you is an overall topology to apply to your specific devices.

i think.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Use "74161" as a search term in Google to get a data sheet. That should answer some questions - like how to get the tens part of the seconds counter to go. Onece you have that, everything else should fall into place.

eehelp

Joined Apr 21, 2010
I looked at the datasheet, but it doesn't really say anything about how to make different counting sequences...

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
If I remember correctly, the 161 is a synchronous counter with load.

To do seconds, minutes & hours you would need two stages each.

With each two decade section, you have to use a few gates to give a signal at maximum count (eg. 59) and use that to activate the Load input.

The next clock pulse would then load the value from the input pins (which you set to fixed levels) rather than incrementing the count, so 59 -> 00 or 12 -> 01. (Or 23 -> 00 if you prefer).

If you are on to counters you should understand simple gates, so start drawing you circuit!

ps You have already said it's homework, so no one will design it for you - clues and pointers only.

eehelp

Joined Apr 21, 2010
Thanks for the advice, but I just really don't understand how to make this work. Could anyone give me more specific advice? I switched my major a while ago, so now I just have to pass this class...

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
You are using QD from the first stage as clock for the second, That goes High when the count reaches 8.

The proper way to cascade synchronous counters is to have the clock connected to all stages and use one of the enable inputs to hold the count until you get a 'carry' from the previous stage.

I think if you invert the '= 9' signal you have already produced, that should work as the second stage count enable.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Why set it.. It will be right twice a day.

You will need a manual (button) to pulse the minute and hour counters manually.

A button tied to Vcc and when you press the button it hits the clock line for hours

And another for min.

Look up switch de-bouncing also.

eehelp

Joined Apr 21, 2010
Ok, so the switch should be connected to Vcc & CLK of the minutes chip? I tried this, but it doesn't do anything.