Help With Car Audio

SlabBoyzOverTexas

Joined Dec 20, 2011
I recently had 2 CVR 15inch kickers put in my car on a 2000wwatt hifonics amp, it worked fine for bout a week then today out of the blue my speakers just started bassing non stop i had to unplug my RCA jacks to get it to shut off. Any idea what it could be

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Maybe you're getting feedback from the speakers back into the inputs somehow.
Start off with the volume at low and increase the volume slowly. Does it work as it should or are you getting constant bass? What does constant bass sound like?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
try getting a headphone>RCA splitter and plug a ipod into it. if it works, then its your head unit.
EDIT: plug the splitter into the RCA cables that go into the head unit, not directly at the amp.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
A 2kW car audio system! The mind boggles: do you need an uprated generator to cope with that?
not if you just listen for a few seconds at a time :)
NEW HIFONICS HFi2000D 2000 Watt Car Mono Class D Amplifier Amp - US $194.89
HFi Series Single Channel Monoblock Class D Car Amplifier
RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 650 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 1300 watts x 1 chan.
1 ohms: 2000 watts x 1 chan.
Max power output: 2000 watts
Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) MOSFET power supply
LED power (blue) and protect (red) indicators
Wired HFR-3 remote bass level control included
Variable Bass Boost (0 to +10 dB bass boost at 45 Hz)
Blue illuminated Hifonics badge
Soft start sound function
Mono channel operation
Preamp RCA outputs to daisy chain multiple amps
4-Way System Protection circuitry (thermal, overload, DC, and speaker short protection)
Dual 12 gauge speaker terminals simplify hookup
Heavy duty aluminum alloy vented heatsink for maximum heat dissipation
Silver nickle-plated RCA level inputs
Silver nickle-plated screw terminals
Input sensitivity: 200mV-6V
Variable low-pass filter (30-250 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
Subsonic filter (15-35 Hz)
Damping factor: >200
Frequency response: 15-250 Hz
External 200A fuse required and sold separately
Dimensions: 17"L x 8-13/16"W x 2-7/16"H
4-gauge power and ground wiring is required for installation.
1-Year Warranty

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
A component failure that allowed oscillation in the circuit could be responsible. Only testing will reveal if it is input related or in the amplifier circuit itself. To tell you what exactly is wrong from your short description over an internet forum is beyond the ability of most anyone. If it is a constant freq, constant volume 'mono' tone coming out of the speaker with no hint of any program material then the output stage would be where I would start looking. A problem in the speaker may be causing high power oscillations, easily checked by attaching another speaker

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I know what you mean, but British English would not use "comprehensive" in that sense: we would more likely say "tolerant".

These quirks of language intrigue me: is this an American / Canadian English usage, or perhaps from French?
Oops, I see. It's english from someone who learned it at school and doesn't speak it so much...:D

Just learned something, nice. French isn't my first language neither.:rolleyes:

Yeah i meant tolerant, I had some very bad experiences, I guess I wasn't a very comprehending/tolerant neighbor. I'm not saying the OP is one of THOSE guys. :)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
A 2kW car audio system! The mind boggles: do you need an uprated generator to cope with that?
I had 3.5 kW 15 years ago. 151 dBSPL, got some Trophys, and say "Huh? What?" a lot now.

Sadly, after installation, it cost about $2/watt, and sold for $0.25/watt There's a huge markup in car audio, and that HiFonics amp isn't a very good one. Get a solid amp like Rockford, Earthquake, or Xtant.

Your amp probably died.

Last edited:

SlabBoyzOverTexas

Joined Dec 20, 2011
The best way i can describe the situation is soon as i insert the RCA into the amp the subs have a constant bass coming from them even when there is no music playing, its a humming type sound i will upload a audio file to show the sound

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
if you disconnect the RCA coming out of your head unit, instead of disconnecting the RCA going into the amp, do you still get the sound?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
ok, so
amp>-------->RCA cable>--------->head unit (all connected, you get buzz)
amp>-------->RCA cable>--------X head unit (RCA disconnected from head unit, you get buzz)
amp X------>RCA cable>--------->head unit (RCA disconnected from amp, no more buzz)

is that correct? If so, pull the RCA cable out, replace it, and route the new one a different way, away from all other wiring.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Can you put your sub inputs into your mid-range/high amp and see if the mid-range amp starts oscillating?

If you don't have a mid-range amp, do you know somebody else with a sub amp that you could swap out for testing?

Can you buy a new amp of reputable brand, and return it if it doesn't fix the problem? If so, that's the most straightforward route, you could then troubleshoot and fix this amp.