Help with an EEG circuit

OBIE

Joined Feb 28, 2012
Hi All,
I've been going thru the experiments and worksheets to get a firm grasp on the basics. I'm still on basic componants, right now on inductors. I think this site is a fantastic help.

A circuit I'd like to build right away is an EEG. I'd like to feed the signals into an ocilloscope app on my conputer and experiment by using it as a biofeedback system.
Any one able to provide a circuit for that?
Best,
John

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
After my heart attack and angioplasty stents, the training lady in the Cardio Rehab excercise program took my heart rate and asked, "what is wrong?". She taught me to reduce my heart rate without any hardware just by thinking about relaxing and IT WORKED!

But when a VERY PRETTY young female technician shaved me then fitted a portable ECG machine, my heart was quickly pounding until she was gone.:p

When my cardiologist reviewed the ECG results he joked about me and my wife "fooling around" early in the morning as shown on my recorded heart rate.

OBIE

Joined Feb 28, 2012
Thanks #12,
There are a few people that have poste EEG circuits online. I'll likely call on you guys to figure it out.
Hi Audioguru,
Not using tech for biofeedback is ultimately the way to go. I hope to reach that level myself. I am also interested in the circuit to learn about sensors. In the back of my mind, if I can make an interactive piece that responds to emotions, that might be a lot of fun. As well, I recall reading "The Secret Life of Plants" years ago, and the author used an EEG on the plants to discover that they responded to his thoughts. I'd like to try that experiment myself.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/ Take a look here. It is good starting point. I would also stress/emphasize the need for using proper medical grade electrodes in such a project. If you plan to save money using some homemade flimflams here. It is best not to start on the project at all. As you will for sure fail big time. Also if you use disposable electrodes. Do not try to reuse them. The reason for this. Is that then you remove the electrodes from the skin. You end up with a layer of of dead skin cells on the electrode gel. And dead skin cells are a very good insulator. Another tip, disposable electrodes have the habit of drying out VERY quickly then the package seal is broken. Always store them in a airtight something. Preferable a plastic bag. Which you can squeeze the air out of.
So once again this project will depend very much on using proper methods. If you are not willing to this this. Do not start on the project at all

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you are now starting out in electronics, starting with EEG is looking for frustration. This by itself is a challenge even for the most experienced electronics experts.

Start with something simpler, such as a digital clock or thermometer.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
If you are now starting out in electronics, starting with EEG is looking for frustration. This by itself is a challenge even for the most experienced electronics experts.

Start with something simpler, such as a digital clock or thermometer.
I agree completely.
Unfortunately, it appears that his primary interest is biofeedback, and electronics may a necessary evil.

OBIE

Joined Feb 28, 2012
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your feedback. I hear you loud and clear. The EEG idea was a recent diversion, which I will drop for now. In the meantime, as I have said, I am doing the excellent experiments and worksheets offered to get a firm grasp and understanding of the basics.
I might mention that early on, I over-ranged two meters and threw them off. One doesn't read resistance accurately and the other doesn't read current accurately.
I didn't know this at the time, and so for a week nothing made sense. I was so frustrated that I was tempted to light my hair on fire.
Somehow I figured it out, did calculations that affirmed the meters were very accurate in what they could measure, and I have reached a new level of confidence and understanding. It is still basic, but I look forward to moving to the next level.
In the meantime, I have painting commissions to complete, sculptures I am creating on spec, so the learning and experimenting will be slow in the following months.
Again,
thanks for your responses