Help with an Eagle CAD library file

scaru

Joined Mar 30, 2013
Can anyone here help me with creating a library file for Eagle CAD? I'm not sure if this is allowed, but can any of you make it for me and I could paypal you some money? The one I need is for the Cree XM-L LED, which is an extremely simple design with only 3 pads.

http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/C...d Modules/XLamp/Data and Binning/XLampXML.pdf

Can anyone make this for me?

If anyone is wondering what it is for, I am planning on using it in a number of different designs for flashlights. Here one example of something I have made is. (That is a pocket-sized flashlight that runs at around 70 watts)

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
..you'll need Eagle Ver 6.xx+ to create SMD pads with the little ears on them. I only have Ver 5.2.0 ( I didn't know I couldn't have ears-bummer).

If you have version 6.xx, you draw the pad using wire/fill etc. (this from one of the Eagle Forums.. 8.13 in the manual, they say)

You could fake it in 5.x with two SMDs stuck together but you'd likely need some help from the CAD/CAM guys at the board shop to fix the paste masks, etc. Your schematic symbol would also need to account for the two pads on one net.

Last edited:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I plotted your board and looked at the Gerbers using the free version of GC-Prevue. The copper layer looked OK to me and imported with no errors despite the overlapping SMD pads used to create the ears.

Eagle's DRC is pretty unhappy with all of the overlaps, however. My guess is that the board house will flag these and their CAD/CAM guys will fix it up.

UPDATE: I fixed up the pattern and made a device variant using the schematic symbol in 2Tell's library with the new pattern. The DRC still complains about the SMD overlaps but there are fewer of them. It didn't care about crossing the unused pads that make up the ears.

I didn't attempt to set the values for the stencil.

While laying out the pattern I attempted to use the dims in the CREE .pdf by the OP but have not double checked them.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling, 2Tell. I was curious about the ears but too lazy to create a component myself. Let us know how it finally works.

Attachments

Last edited: