HELP with a simple diode project

Status
Not open for further replies.

eager2learn

Joined Jul 29, 2011
so i sign up so that i can learn more about circuitry. i dont know any of the technical terms so please bare with me while i might sound ignorant at some point.

i really dont know where to start!! but this project is going on a car. I want a Led source to turn on when the ignition is off, but it is also wired to a timer so that it will shut off after a few minutes. That part ive perfected and have been working for years.

every time i lock or unlock the car, the signal light would blink. here is the part i need help on, i want to splice onto that wire so that triggering the lock/unlock would trigger the led on. but at the same time i dont want the other power source to keep the signal light lit.

The last few months i have been reading about forward direction diodes where it would allow power forward but not backward. so what kind of diode do i need. also do i need to wire it with something else or can i just add a diode into the splice wire?

Here is a "illustration"

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Hi it's not allowed in this forum to discuss modifications on your car due to safety issues.

Then you also said "i can learn more about circuitry. i dont know any of the technical terms" and " i really dont know where to start!! but this project is going on a car."

One more reason they wouldn't allow a discussion.

Sorry about that.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
You don't need to. If the discussion went further they close it.

There was a link list of automotive forums somewhere here, can't remember where I've seen it.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service
There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
Member selected automotive forums

Bertus