Help with a CMR issue

eladta

Joined Apr 20, 2013
Hi all,
As u can see in the attached circuit there is a resistor in the cathode side and one in the anode side.
The question is why not to put one equivalent resistor equals to the series sum of them (when the led is on lets assume it's a short) ?
I know the answer has something to do with CMR but i didn't get it.
Thanks.

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The the circuit doesn't do anything because there is not current flowing through the diode. This thing is intended to be part of a larger circuit.

But as it stands, I can see no reason for putting the resistors on either side of the diode versus both on one side. I certainly don't see any CMR benefit.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't have the bandwidth to download large files. Perhaps later when I am in the city I can take a look at it. Or, you could extract the relevant pages and post just those.

eladta

Joined Apr 20, 2013
sorry but i can't do that since it's a PDF protected document.
waiting for your reply when you get back to the city..

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hope I got it correct
Sure looks like it. And thanks for including page 14, which is the key.

They are looking at a more complicated model that included the effect of capacitive coupling between the LED's anode and cathode to the output side ground. Thus, you no longer have a strictly series circuit. The goal is to pick resistor values that will equalize these impedances. Read the section very carefully and try to walk through the analysis and the math alongside them as you go.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Have you carefully read what the datasheet has to say on those pages? If not, please do. Then ask specific questions about the points that are tripping you up and we will try to provide specific answers, if we can.