Help wiring single phase insta reverse cap start motor

ruserious247

Joined Jul 15, 2010
Hi, I am trying to wire a 1.5 hp GE 5kc48 single-phase, insta reverse, cap start motor, for my parents elevator.

My problem is that elevator controls are very complicated to understand.
the motor has a 115 IR (insta reverse) switch but the motor is rated at 230 vac.
There are 4 wires coming out of the motor. Black, yellow, orange and white. None labeled. I have done some testing to the motor and can tell u what i think i know

Motor wires:
Yellow goes to the IR switch
Black to the start winding
orange and white are the main windings.

I have sucessfullly operated both CW and CCW rotation using 115 VAC.
However, I cannot decipher the elevator schematics and there are 5 wires that were used on the old motor. I have no idea how they are connected, but can say that upon testing their voltage they operate as follows

Wires from the elevator controls to motor:
wire 1 is always on at 115 vac
wire 2 & 3 are 115 vac whenever up or down is pushed.
wire 4 is 115 vac when up button is pushed.
wire 5 is 115 vac when down button is pushed.

There is also a 2 wire brake solenoid to be wired in near the motor.

I would appreciate any advice or help on this, as i am so close to figuring this thing out and just need a little help getting over the hump. Thank you.

Pics and schematics will follow.

Last edited:

ruserious247

Joined Jul 15, 2010
OK, I ohm'ed out all the motor wires and here are the results.

yellow to white - infinite
yellow to orange - infinite
yellow to black - infinite
orange to black - 1.7 ohms
white to black - 1.6 ohms
orange to white - .2 ohms

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I am wondering why there is no yellow wire connection.

U said you tested it with 115VAC but the way I see it it is a 220VAC motor.
Care to clarify this

ruserious247

Joined Jul 15, 2010
The yellow wire runs straight into the Intant reverse switch, which is rated at 115 vac. When I applied 230 vac to the yellow and black. It instantly blew my instant reverse switch and so I had to get another one, which costs me $130. So I have been using 115 vac because i am afraid to hook 230 vac up to it again without knowing what i am doing. But yes the motor is rated for 230 vac, and that is what i needed to run it with.

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
U blew ur reverse switch. Isn't it a mechanical one?

OK .u want this motor to run in the current system which is a 115VAC but at 230VAC

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
It could be done but I will need more data.
Specially you said you blew something.

First of all do not dismantle the whole thing.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hmm.
What you fried were probably the caps rated at 115VAC.
U need to get caps of the same value and type but rated at 300VAC.
After that this can be done.

And before that try to get me a readable diagram.
I log in every now and then. I do not have time these days to stay long or try to read a poor jpg due to a work that is going on. you have to correct the diagram and present it. I would if I had time. Hope you understand

A nicely layed diagram will speed things up
If that is scanned image, try to scan it to a pdf, page by page.
If it is a downloaded then tell from where.

The text should be clear.

Another important thing is that for you to study the current wiring is in accordance with the diagram you are showing, cause if not then my suggestion will make things worse, as my suggestion will be based on the schema, not the actual wiring you have.

See it there are any wrong or more or less connection. The wiring should be same as the diagram.
One more thing is to label the wiring according to the diagram, since same color are sometimes used.

If you are having doubt about the components, try to get focused detailed pictures of everything from every angle. Picture storage helps a lot.
Since I am no where near you, what you document is ur backup.

ruserious247

Joined Jul 15, 2010
understandable. I will try to correct the diagram.

I am trying to get ahold of the elevator engineers so they can get me the correct labels for the motor leads.

Will update later.

ruserious247

Joined Jul 15, 2010
Thanks for all your help and support but I SOLVED my wiring problem.

White = T1=main winding= connects to L1 thru up/CCW switch
Orange= T2=main winding = connects to L2 thru down/CW switch
Black = T5= start winding = Connects to L1 thru down/CW switch and L2 thru up/ CCW switch
Yellow= T6=Instant reverse switch connects to L2 thru up/down CCW/CW relay and to brake solenoid which also connects, uninterrupted to L1

I have installed the new motor and the elevator works PERFECTLY! Will post a video of it later.

Last edited:

ruserious247

Joined Jul 15, 2010
Hmm.
What you fried were probably the caps rated at 115VAC.
U need to get caps of the same value and type but rated at 300VAC.
After that this can be done.
Actually what I fried was an electric instant reverse SINPAC switch. This I verified. I hear that electric reverse switches are not used much anymore, but regardless. I still have one.

As far as, the cap start capacitor goes. It was rated for 230 so it was still good.