HELP!!! what's the best place to learn ???

Lakim

Joined Sep 10, 2010
Opinions please... Hi, I am getting a call today from Devry. I am ready to start their online course "electrical engineering technology program"
I am interested in hardware design.
Does anybody have an opinion on Devry's online program? (versus another college like Penn State's.) The Bachelor's degree doesn't come cheap and I would really appriciate some input from some of you out there before I make a decision. Are there any other schools online I should consider?
Thanks, Mike.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
If you have the money, a Penn State degree will carry you farther than a Devry degree will.
Also, many of the credits earned in Devry DO NOT transfer to other schools.

So If you wanted to transfer to Penn State later to go for a Masters or PhD, They would require you to take the same classes over again. They do not recognize the credits earned at Devry.

So you have to look a little farther into the future.

If you are just trying to learn, than do Devry.

But if you plan on using institutions other than Devry in the future, you need to do more research.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Millions of graduates from Devry and the multitude of equivalents, not nearly as many from the better Universities.

It's kind of like comparing a trade school to a true 4 year college.

Lakim

Joined Sep 10, 2010
Let's say that I just want to learn. Devry want's $70,000 for the bachelors degree. If I wanted Knowledge and not a title, where do I look? (to get the equivilent online teaching for less $$$.)
On the other hand, it seems that many people are saying that, in the end, why not learn from somewhere that is a little more respected if I am to spend that much money and time. Then if I decide to get my masters later, I could have earned credits which are transferable.
So I guess... what online schools are good, but not as expensive (to just learn)?
And what schools which offer online learning are a better choice to receive my bachelors degree, if I want it to be worth the paper it's printed on???

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
For the sake of free education you can take an online course from the Madras School in India through You Tube and get an excellent 4 year degree level of education. The Professor is an accredited tenured individual who has published over 100 one hour lectures to You Tube under the name NPtelhrd (spelling), If you search basic electronics on youtube it will pop right up and is extremely complete. He is a little difficult to understand due to his accent, but I am from the southern US so I am probably hard to understand too. Worth a look, especially for free. There is also a book available from the US Navy that covers the entire electronics training program that is free and available under the name of NEETS. Two free programs that compliment the info that is available on this site for free also. If you apply yourself, the info is available for free and is capable of training you to a very high degree of technical proficiency.
Bob

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
$70,000 for an almost worthless online degree. You must be kidding. That is not even a question. If you live north of Duluth, then you may need to go a little south. The heat is not too bad. :D There are lots of options. What about the University of Minnesota?

John

Here's a link to the UMD tuition: http://www.duluth.umn.edu/registrar/tuition2010-2011.pdf
Per year is less than $10K. It is a recognized university and credits are transferable.

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
The school of retched is opening soon. If you enroll today, you can get a BS degree in Eel Engineering and we will throw in a mouse pad and a LED keychain for $60,000.

Cant beat that.

If I were you, and you want to learn electronics, I would start right here. AAC.
All About Circuits.

There is an EBook, Videos, Worksheets, Experiments, and this forum which can help you when you get stuck.

This way, you learn at your OWN SPEED.

The biggest problems with institutionalized education is rate.

If you learn faster than the class is taught, you get bored and daydream and do poorly.

If you learn slower than the class is taught, you fall behind, feel overwhelmed and do poorly.

Self-education is where its at. You learn at your own pace. If your good, you might soak in 2 years of "schooling" in a few months.

Then when you decide to go for a degree, you can test out of the things you already know. That will allow this to not go to waste. You can still get credits for what you teach yourself.

Start Here:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/index.html

Lakim

Joined Sep 10, 2010
Hey everyone! Thank you Sooo much, to everyone that has responded to my plee for help in finding a source to learn. I have since removed my application to Devry. Before logging in today, I had already contacted the University of MN. Duluth, but they don't have anything online and it's a two hour drive from where I live. I don't think my wife could handle three little ones and one on the way with me gone so much! Online is the way to go for me. When it comes down to it, I want a bachelors degree (or more) in education, but I really don't care about the title as much as the knowledge. If I could find an Online school that has the same type of program that Devry was offering, (without the high price tag), then I still think I would go with that. For right now though, I think I will follow the advice I am receiving right here and go for it on my own, at least with all of you out there helping one another, I don't feel that I will be alone while I learn. If there are any more comments on this subject, I will continue to check this thread, and once again... Thank you, Mike.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
When it comes down to it, I want a bachelors degree (or more) in education, but I really don't care about the title as much as the knowledge.
Hi Mike,

Confusing goal. Is it so you can home school? There are plenty of books on early childhood education. Is there a local community college (Associates degree) in your area. I know it is pretty isolated up there. Maybe the principal at your local elementary school can give you some guidance, since you don't feel you really need the degree so much as the knowledge.

BTW, one of my daughters used to live in Ely, then moved to the big town, Esko.

John

Lakim

Joined Sep 10, 2010
John, I didn't mean to confuse you, what I meant was that I wanted to learn as much as what I would learn if I were to go through college and earn a bachelor's degree, and the fact that we have small children makes it impossible for me to attend a brick and morter school and be traveling so much.
The only thing I think I would like about going through a college program is the structure of learning, (the step by step process layed out in a specific order). When a I look at all there is to learn in electronics and I get the feeling of not knowing where to start. So I thought it would be easier to just enroll in a program somewhere, I just wasn't expecting the cost involved.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I would enroll ar the AAC program. Its free, its online, AND there is tons of FREE help from good-looking individuals like myself.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/index.html

The NAVY program is also good. And free. And online..sans good-looking help though.

Really, start with chapter 1 here. It will baby-step you through what you need. Any confusion, and we are a click away.

I mentioned this in post 8, but forgot about the good-looking help part (my bad).

There is a very good video series in the AAC conglomeration of knowledge.

I have a smartphone that I hook headphones up to during bed time, I watch a video, and read a few pages from one of my Forrest M. Mims III books. It is a nightly ritual when there are no ladies present....which is less and less these days... ANYWAY.

I would highly RECOMMEND Mr. Mims books to the Nth degree, as I am sure many others here would also.

Get them here:
http://www.w5yi.org/catalog.php?sort=21

Here his personal website:
http://www.forrestmims.org

And his commercial website:
http://www.forrestmims.com

I consider Volumes 1 and 4 of the Mini-Notebooks to be essential reading for anyone.

The two books will set you back all of $25 total.

But they are GREAT references. I guarantee you wear them out.
And remember, google is a great resource, and the searches on the forum will also answer 90% of the questions you will have as a beginner.

If you start to get discouraged, buy a kit. The few dollars you spend on a kit will refill the tanks with the confidence to continue on.

Also, find a kid-proof area in your home for your new hobby. These little parts and high potentials involved with an electronics hobby can do bad thing to children...

..like make them want to become electrical engineers ;)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One thing that is always important to remember, you can be a genius at a subject, but unless you are a lone inventor working at home it is the degree that gets you jobs, even if it is that of school teacher. I notice lots of jobs for engineers with a piece of paper, not so much for everyone else.