Help w/555 to 555 timer problem

LesIzMore

Joined Mar 17, 2014
I need a circuit that develops rapid pulsing of an medium high power LED group, then a pause and repeat of rapid flashing (adjustable.)

I have wired two 555 timers using around a one second pulse from timer 1 to control timer 2 using the reset pin 4 on timer 2. Timer two is adjustable for the rapid flashing. Timer two pin 3 is output to a driver transistor.

What is happening is I get the rapid flashing through a driver transistor, but the pause cycle is a high, causing the LED circuit to remain on between rapid flash cycles.

I would like the pause cycle to be no power to the LED circuit for at least .5 seconds. I tried tying reset pin 4 of timer 2 low via a 1K resistor, but that didn't work - unless I fat fingered the connection.

The circuit is driven by a nine volt battery.

What am I doing wrong?

AfdhalAtiffTan

Joined Nov 20, 2010
It's hard to get basic astable 555 circuit to give low duty cycle.

Since you supply us with no circuit diagram at all, this is my best guess:

You need to add a diode between pin6 and pin7, with the anode facing pin7.

This will bypass the charge resistor.

The equation now would be t=0.693*C*Rx, R1 for on-time and R2 for off-time.

LesIzMore

Joined Mar 17, 2014
The transistor when active provides a ground to the LEDs and is active when a high is presented to the base.

I originally thought the transistor was part of the problem, but the problem is visible when just the output of of 555 #2 is applied to a LED.

AfdhalAtiffTan

Joined Nov 20, 2010
The transistor when active provides a ground to the LEDs and is active when a high is presented to the base.

I originally thought the transistor was part of the problem, but the problem is visible when just the output of of 555 #2 is applied to a LED.
So you're using NPN low-side switch.

I suspect it is the 1st 555 giving long on-time.
You'll need to use this circuit for the first 555:

Then, use this excellent calculator. (Note: use the lower ones)

As shown, you need to add a diode across pin6 and pin7.

This will help the 555 to turn-off sooner.

Could you provide us your schematic?

LesIzMore

Joined Mar 17, 2014
I'll have to draw up the current circuit arrangement. The transistor is a 2N4401 but isn't a part of the problem.

The first 555 is the slow timer and uses pin 3 to pin 4 of 555 #2. The circuit is inconsistent in operation. 555 timer #2 is an old stock device from 1978. I tried a new recent production in it's place and the operation changed to no negative or positive pulse between the higher frequency pulses - output of 555 timer #2.

I have tried tying low the interface between 555 devices, no change. I tried a resistor of 1k in series pin3 to pin4 of the two 555 devices, no change. I tried tying the output of 555 #2 low with no change.

Perhaps using two 555 timers isn't the best way to accomplish the desired output.

This is for a simple visual effect associated with a pinball machine modification. The frequencies are not a big factor, just some off time with some on flickering, off again, then repeat. 1 second intervals are ideal.

LesIzMore

Joined Mar 17, 2014
Thank you all for your attention, comments and information. The circuit is now working as intended, and is consistent. I know I owe the circuit diagram, but as I was doing some further testing, I determined that lowering the voltage from 9VDC to 6VDC the circuit works as expected.

The circuit diagram is nothing unusual as I have 555 timer 1 operating at 1 second pulses.
555 timer 2 is operating a adjustable pulse rate of around 5 pulses per second.

I am working on drawing up the circuit.