Help Transistor MOSFET replacement

ChrisChemist116

Joined Mar 13, 2009
Howdy,:)

I came across this schematic (http://pfranc.com/pclink/myidea.htm) to build a CASIO DATA cable for calculator CFX9850.

Everything seems to be in the right order. Except the MOSFET transistor.
One site (http://www.casiocorner.com/data/html/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=13) suggests to use ZVP 3306 or VP0106 (altough it tells the model as SiVP 01069602). (I think it is Mosfet P channel).

I can't find any of these in my location. Is there any equivalent easier to find?.:confused:

Bellow you can see the schematic. Middle, Bottom and Tip, are Ring, Base and Tip in 2.5 mm audio plug.

Best regards~

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
If it's a real serial port and not a USB/Serial converter, you will have ~ +- 12V at all the serial port pins. This circuit will not demand much current, so you don't need a power FET. Honestly, probably many small PMOS FETs will work here. That said, it's late and I haven't really taken a good look at this circuit..tomorrow.

Before you dive into this though, remember that unless you're very experienced you can fry your serial port if you make a wiring mistake. If your UART is on the mother board (not a card), the damage could be catastrophic. The Max232 is a RS232 interface chip and is what's widely used for RS232 to 5V logic levels.

ChrisChemist116

Joined Mar 13, 2009
If it's a real serial port and not a USB/Serial converter, you will have ~ +- 12V at all the serial port pins. This circuit will not demand much current, so you don't need a power FET. Honestly, probably many small PMOS FETs will work here. That said, it's late and I haven't really taken a good look at this circuit..tomorrow.

Before you dive into this though, remember that unless you're very experienced you can fry your serial port if you make a wiring mistake. If your UART is on the mother board (not a card), the damage could be catastrophic. The Max232 is a RS232 interface chip and is what's widely used for RS232 to 5V logic levels.
Alright i understand what you say. But i would appreciate if you could suggest me a replacement as there are many FETs out there. As what you can see from the schematic, is there any particular model do you suggest? :rolleyes:

And regarding to the serial port. I see no problems at all, and i think i can give it a try.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
What distributors do you use? RS Components? Farnell UK?
Without knowing what distributors you have access to, we could play "Guess the MOSFET" quite a bit before finding one that's suitable.

Basically, you're looking for a P-ch enhanced MOSFET in a small package, preferably TO-92, that's rated for a Vdss of -30v to -60v, low gate charge (<3nC) and Id in the range of -10mA to -500mA; it doesn't have to be much.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Can you get a 2N7000 by you?

EDIT: This is a N-Chan MOSFET. The OP is needing a P-Chan.

Last edited:

ChrisChemist116

Joined Mar 13, 2009
What distributors do you use? RS Components? Farnell UK?
Without knowing what distributors you have access to, we could play "Guess the MOSFET" quite a bit before finding one that's suitable.

Basically, you're looking for a P-ch enhanced MOSFET in a small package, preferably TO-92, that's rated for a Vdss of -30v to -60v, low gate charge (<3nC) and Id in the range of -10mA to -500mA; it doesn't have to be much.
Okay Sarge. I was thinking about that. The closest distributor to my location is Futurlec. And judging from what i can see, it carries transistors among other components within JEDEC standards.

It would be helpful if the replacement it is in such category.

Sidenote: I have to say the first time i read your answer "guess the Mosfet" let me :D But i know what you mean.

With that said, is there any Mosfet you suggest i can use within the range you specified and in TO-92 package on JEDEC?:rolleyes:

Can you get a 2N7000 by you?
EDIT: This is a N-Chan MOSFET. The OP is needing a P-Chan.
Yes i can get 2N7000, but as said above it would be useless as i require a P-Chan Mosfet.

That's an N-Channel, Useful small purpose MOSFET though.
I've used the ZVP2106 as a "compliment" to the 2N7000 with semi-OK results. The Rds ON is a bit on the horrible side, but it is logic level P MOSFET in TO-92 case.
I would be happy to give a try to ZVP2106 but i can't find it. Is there any equivalent on JEDEC or any other choice i can try?.:(

Oops, my error!
Dont be worry, such things happens.:)