Help! Thevinin's, Norton's, Super Position Basic Theory Question.

MrTAP

Joined Jan 23, 2007
The Task: Find the current through the 5 Ohm Resistor using the following methods;

• Super Position Theorem
  • Norton's Theorem
  • Thevinin's Theorem

Circuit:

I am desperate for the solution to these questions. I have made an attempt at Norton's and Super Position, but Thevinin I have no idea how to solve it yet.

PS: Yes it is basic Theory, but its a new course and must be done.

My Attempt at Norton's I have not typed out yet, but I have attached my attempt at Super Position. Please Help to all that know how this is done.

adam_1985_831@hotmail is my email should you need it. Thankyou :)

Attachments

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
You have arrived at the correct answer to the current in the 5 ohm resistor.

The only thing I would suggest you revisit is the annotation of current in your final diagram. The way you have labeled current flowing in the two outer legs is flawed.

Hint: You have indicated two different currents when only one value for current can flow in any given leg.

hgmjr

P.S. Still, not a bad first run at the problem. I look forward to seeing your results for the remaining two parts of the problem, Thevenin and Norton approach.

MrTAP

Joined Jan 23, 2007
I will post my attempt at Norton's tomorrow morning but please please, help me on Thevinins. I have no clue on this method. :(

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I will post my attempt at Norton's tomorrow morning but please please, help me on Thevinins. I have no clue on this method. :(
Let's just focus on getting your Norton's method solution. Thevenin's will wait for now.

We can tackle the Thevenin's method once you slam-dunk the Norton's method.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
As joejester has pointed out, you need to revisit your short circuit current calculation with an eye toward making sure that your signs for the two currents are properly accounted for.

hgmjr

MrTAP

Joined Jan 23, 2007
Can you show me?

I really don't understand. The deadline for this is drawing in FAST. I really need this done. Can you do it for me please?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Can you show me?

I really don't understand. The deadline for this is drawing in FAST. I really need this done. Can you do it for me please?
The posting rules for the homework section of the AAC forum frown on outright answering of the homework problem.

Stronger hint: Notice that in your circuit, the 10V source is oriented positive terminal up and the 3V source is oriented with the positive terminal down. This means that the current in the righthand loop is flowing in the opposite direction from the current flowing in the lefthand loop. This means that the signs of the currents cannot be the same. Your equation for the short circuit current needs to be changed to reflect this sign difference.

hgmjr