Help Thevenin equivalent

integralx2

Joined Sep 27, 2008
How do i find the current 1 k olhm resistor thats to the left. I see that 4mA are going and the 1 am. THen how do i calculate the open circuit voltage ?

Please help , im stuck :\
:confused:

Attachments

veritas

Joined Feb 7, 2008
If you call the current in the lower left loop I1, in the upper left I2, and in the upper right I3, then you can see that I1 is the only current flowing through the left-most 1k resistor.

Voc will end up being V(ac) + V(cd) + V(de), because it's not possible to directly determine the voltage across a current source.

silvrstring

Joined Mar 27, 2008
Integralx2,

The current flowing through that resistor will just be the sum of the upper left loop current and the bottom loop current. Each of those loop values are predetermined to their current source. The upper left loop to 4mA and lower loop to 1mA.

silvrstring

Joined Mar 27, 2008
Really? It's just a jpg. Can you view it at all?

I can't scan again right now. So I'll send it again via personal message, and I'll try to post again when my annoying roommate gets off the other PC with the scanner.

Silvrstring, the circuit in your solution has different component values the the original problem. Have you applied some kind of transformation that you didn't explain?

silvrstring

Joined Mar 27, 2008
I don't want to do the problem for him; I'm trying to show him how to do it. The example I gave is the same problem, but with different values.

Sorry integralx2, can't send right now. Having problems with Vista.