HELP TEST TOMORROW: # of Chips Needed according to chip capacity

glitterized_dreamz

Joined Feb 13, 2007
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could provide me with a little insight for a small problem that I will be faced with on a test tomorrow. Based on chip capacity, I must be able to tell how many chips are needed. Here are some examples, if someone could explain to me how the numbers in the paranthesis are obtained, please let me know! Thanks!

1K x 4 = 128 chips (32 x 4)
2K x 1 = 256 chips (16 x 16)
1K x 8 = 64 chips (32 x 2)

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
What kind of chips and what kind of capacity would be interesting parameters to know. The numbers presented seem to make no sense.

glitterized_dreamz

Joined Feb 13, 2007
THANKS!!!!!!!! I realized after your response that there was information missing and that filled in the blanks!!!! The memory capacity is 32k x 16 and all you need to do was divide to get the answer. I can't believe I spent that long comtemplating such an easy problem. Thanks again!

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I'm afraid you may need to go cap in hand to your tutor.

That said, I'm going to have a stab at relational characteristics of the questions you have given. There seems to be an inverse relationship:

1K = 32
2K = 16
4K = 8 (?)
8K = 4 (?)
16K = 2 (?)
32K = 1 (?)

As for the multiple:

1 = 16
2 = 8 (?)
4 = 4
8 = 2 (?)
16 = 1

Any rational of this is down to your own intuition, but the above relationships appear to hold throughout your calculations.

Dave