Help Tektronix 466 repair advice

epicfatigue

Joined Feb 22, 2013
Hey everyone, i am getting into electronics and have been toying with them for the last 8 months.
I have repaired 3 CRT arcade monitors thus far so by basic recapping and fault finding,

However i am alittle stumped as to where to start with this.

I brought it to learn how they work and gain some experience however i think it is broken i have taken a video of its symptoms if someone can point me in the right direction that would be fantastic, i pulled it apart to have a quick look and this thing has caps that are massive!

[video=youtube;VDjKbOhsFks]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDjKbOhsFks[/video]

The Manual is here.
http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/index.php?dir=Tektronix/Tektronix_-_465_Oscilloscope

The one thing i want to know before i go diving into this is how i discharge it.
I can not see an anode cap!

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Looking at the power supply diagram on section 12, check that all supplies are there first, this is the best place to start looking, then see what happens when the beam finder button is pressed.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Not that there aren't a lot of good folks around here but you should check out the Tektronix Yahoo group. Those guys eat, sleep and breath Tek.

epicfatigue

Joined Feb 22, 2013
Hey everyone,

First off I LOVE TEST POINTS that made it so easy!

So here are my results for test points

Expected Result
+65v +65.12v
+15v +15.05v
+5v +5v
-8V +0.71v
-15v -15.18v
+140v +139.80v

So it appears the -8V is where we start hunting!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hey everyone,

First off I LOVE TEST POINTS that made it so easy!

So here are my results for test points

Expected Result
+65v +65.12v
+15v +15.05v
+5v +5v
-8V +0.71v
-15v -15.18v
+140v +139.80v

So it appears the -8V is where we start hunting!

That is good news.

I had a similar issue one of my voltages dropped out. Can't remember which. Turns out it was a bad op amp in a very accessible place. I understand it is a common problem.

I have a 475A power supply schematic. Not sure if it is the same. But I promised not to share it anyway since the person that sent it to me makes his living off of selling them.

If the 475A is anything like the 466 you should check for 464A. If you find it you might just consider trying to swap it out. It is a common op amp that you will find at Radio Shack.

There really is not that much to that circuit. One op amp and 3 transistors.

epicfatigue

Joined Feb 22, 2013
nope only just found the diagram for the power supply there is a few things in there will be checking them out over the next few days.

mostly transistors. just need to look up how to test them correctly

epicfatigue

Joined Feb 22, 2013
okay so i finally found the correct diagram,

Layout is Page 275

And Power Supply & distraction page 292

I have highlighted all the components and i am going to remove them 1 by 1 and test them there is only a total of 17 components

3 transistors
5 capacitors
7 resistors
1 VR resistor
1 op amp

Was thinking about testing them in that order.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Take a look at that opamp. It was what was wrong with mine and I understand a common point of failure. It's easy enough to swap out as it should be in a socket.

epicfatigue

Joined Feb 22, 2013
yeah i did have a look at it, its not in a socket on mine,

However is appears that the input voltage to generate the -8 is incorrect.

Leads me to believe its a component further upstream.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Do you have the 50V? You should if you have the other voltages. It could be on mine it was replaced before and whomever repaired it put a socket in.

Do you have that 3.8V?

I'd take all of the voltage measurements and post on the Tek yahoo group.

I sure hope it is not the filter cap. Those babies are really buried. But they probably should be replaced anyway.

epicfatigue

Joined Feb 22, 2013
Hey most of mine are in sockets, it could be whoever replaced this didnt put one in?

Who knows ill put a socket in it anyways.

yeah i am praying it is not c1771 that baby is massive, 5500uf

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Sadly that cap will need to be replaced soon anyway. It is probably long past due unless you are sure it has been refurbished in the last few years. It is not so bad that it is big but how it is buried and soldered in that pcb.

This is a reason why I sold my 475A and bought a digital scope since I am mostly doing digital anyway. I have replaced some fairly large caps in the past but they have always been mounted on a chassis and in easy reach. I would not want to replace those one.

Figures all but the suspect chip are on sockets. :(

epicfatigue

Joined Feb 22, 2013
The caps are easy to replace for me take a few minutes the real issue is replacing the 8pin socket as that i have to dismantle the pcb to get to.

No issue though my time is free and the chip is $00.50 however the large filter caps will be alot i assume

epicfatigue

Joined Feb 22, 2013
you and my circuit diagram!

Hahah thanks for the heads up though, i did move it up on my list of things to test.

Transistors then the opamp didnt bother about the others.

I have a green line but i still do not know if it is working correctly,
going to have to find a training manual or somthing that can teach me how to use them with some labs.

Know of anything like this?