HELP: Strange DIP package

TWRackers

Joined Dec 29, 2008
I've got a pair of NTE3086 optoisolators in 8-pin DIP packages, and I can't figure out where pin 1 is. There's no dot near any corner, nor does either end have any sort of notch. All there is to distinguish one side from the other is a ridge molded into one of the long edges on top of the package, below the lettering. Has anyone seen a package like this before and can state with some certainty whether the ridge is marking pins 1-4 or pins 5-8? I'm hoping to have a response this evening so I can finish my project and test it out, but I'm not plugging in those chips without knowing the correct orientation.

For the record, the datasheet shows a dot AND a notch, but no ridge, and no indication that the lettering is always put on the same way.

TWRackers

Joined Dec 29, 2008
I can never seem to get a reading with the diode-check function of my DVM, but maybe one of the ones in our avionics lab will do better. Good idea, I should've thought of that myself. ;)

TWRackers

Joined Dec 29, 2008
Whoa, good call, dude! :cool: I just checked both chips, and the LEDs (pins 1-4) are definitely on the side with the molded ridge. :) (doing happy dance in lab)

TWRackers

Joined Dec 29, 2008
Hello,

Here ia the datasheet.

Greetings,
Bertus
I already have the datasheet. The problem is, the chips are not marked as the datasheet or the package picture them (no pin 1 dot, no notch, just this odd molded ridge down one long edge).

TWRackers

Joined Dec 29, 2008
I got an email back from NTE this morning with a link to this FAQ page showing their DIP packages.

http://www.nteinc.com/faqs/question13.html

Of course, thanks to the suggestion by "beenthere" I already had my answer within a half hour of my original post. Wish I'd thought to post my question the night before when I realized I couldn't install my chips yet, would've helped my mood Monday morning. :D