Help - Solenoid Circuit

Daniel - RoboNoob

Joined May 21, 2009
Hey Everyone, first post here - just let me know if I'm breaking any rules or conventions...

Goal: use push type solenoid (specs in link; duty cycle 10%, awg 30) to hit a golf ball at speeds up to 10 m/s.

Other relevant information:
-7-14 V battery (its not picked out yet)
-The ball needs to have 4 J of energy for maximum speed (thus the solenoid plunger must deliver 4J very quickly).
-when the kick command is given, the plunger should hit the ball asap (wait time should be minimized)
Ideas: I can use a DC-DC converter to step up the voltage (seems less than ideal...) or possibly I can use capacitors, keep them charged to the desired voltages and then use a switch to turn on the kicker.

Problems: I'm terrible at actually designing circuits/just lost when it comes to most of these parts - it'll be my first time working/learning about solenoids and my first using capacitors out of class.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Daniel - RoboNoob

Joined May 21, 2009
Hey guys, sorry for the long response time - long weekend put me out of commission for a while. Thanks a lot for the help and I'll post back after me and my buddies read the sites thoroughly.