Help: RF Tunable Transformer

sfeinsmith

Joined Mar 20, 2013
I have to repair this device for my deaf friend. It is much like a powerline device that will flash lamp when phone is ringing.

Strange 10mm RF Tunable Transformer had no label but metal stamped "Good Plan" or "Plan Good". I searched for oversea manufacturer who make this component. The circuit frequency is 196.5 KHz. Hopefully, your experience may help me to find a replace transformer.

Thank you

Attachments

Sue_AF6LJ

Joined Mar 16, 2013
I have to repair this device for my deaf friend. It is much like a powerline device that will flash lamp when phone is ringing.

Strange 10mm RF Tunable Transformer had no label but metal stamped "Good Plan" or "Plan Good". I searched for oversea manufacturer who make this component. The circuit frequency is 196.5 KHz. Hopefully, your experience may help me to find a replace transformer.

Thank you
I have to ask;
Why replace it and do you have documentation for this device the part is located in?

The reason I ask.....
These things don't usually just go bad, they are not like active components.
RF coils and transformers are rugged enough that unless the unit has been hit by lightning, or through the process of troubleshooting "the smoke was let out" through some accidental mishandling I would be looking elsewhere for the fault.

sfeinsmith

Joined Mar 20, 2013
Thank you for a quick replied... In fact, this component was damaged after storm possible either power surge or lightning incident. I tested this component and found primary side's resistance reading was infinite...

I do not know if it may similar to 455 KHz RF tunable transformer. I will have this component apart to see what I can compare with other tunable transformer from my junk boxes.

No documentation and no schematic for this device.... but I still work on reverse engineering and it takes time to create my own schematic via KiCAD.

I never heard the brand on RF tunable transformer...:confused: