Help regarding use of tandem 6-15p (air con outlet)

NBSBalt

Joined Aug 7, 2017
My friend moved into a dorm recently, and the only power outlet in the room is a tandem 6-15p outlet for the air condition unit. With the right adapter, can this outlet be used to charge devices such as phones and laptops? Or would using this outlet potentially destroy said devices or pose as a fire hazard? I apologize if this is the wrong place for this question. Thanks

JWHassler

Joined Sep 25, 2013
IF you can find either the perfect wall-wart (rated 94-250 VAC or so, with a 6-15P plug) OR (the right adapter (6-15R to whatever the wall-wart wants) AND the wall-wart that wants it)... then sure.

Just out of curiosity: really? ONLY a 6-15R for the whole room? Where is this?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Assuming your in the US, that outlet is 240V, so if you can find a charger that has a 240V input, no problem. But I haven't personally seen any chargers with a 240V input, all I've seen are 120V input.

JWHassler

Joined Sep 25, 2013
But I haven't personally seen any chargers with a 240V input, all I've seen are 120V input.
butbut.. almost all cheap phone/laptop chargers that I'VE seen in the past 5-or-so years were universal voltage-rated , but had a specific plug that restricted their application.
That said, not a one had a 6-15 plug

NBSBalt

Joined Aug 7, 2017
IF you can find either the perfect wall-wart (rated 94-250 VAC or so, with a 6-15P plug) OR (the right adapter (6-15R to whatever the wall-wart wants) AND the wall-wart that wants it)... then sure.

Just out of curiosity: really? ONLY a 6-15R for the whole room? Where is this?
Its a joke of a dorm run by nuns. They have a charging station where you pay hourly, so no outlets in any of the rooms or common areas. Anyway thank you.

NBSBalt

Joined Aug 7, 2017
Assuming your in the US, that outlet is 240V, so if you can find a charger that has a 240V input, no problem. But I haven't personally seen any chargers with a 240V input, all I've seen are 120V input.
Where I live, 220V is standard. Does this mean devices I usually plug into 220V outlets should work in 240V outlets?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
butbut.. almost all cheap phone/laptop chargers that I'VE seen in the past 5-or-so years were universal voltage-rated , but had a specific plug that restricted their application.
That said, not a one had a 6-15 plug
Guess I haven't really looked at the specs on my wall warts and chargers. Just assumed because they had a standard 120V plug, that that's what there supposed to be used on.