Help please :/ ?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Cookie2011, Feb 21, 2011.

  1. Cookie2011

    Thread Starter New Member

    Feb 21, 2011
    Hey, I'm completely new here, and I don't know much about electronics outside of guitars so I'd really like some help please. I'm building an effects circuit into my guitar and I've got a switch already on the PCB like this one...

    and I'd like to replace or rewire it with a normal push to make SPST momentary that's going to sit on the surface of the guitar to effectively remote control the switch hopefully :/ The only problem is the one up there's got four lugs and a normal momentary one I'm used to's only got two so how do I wire it? As I said I don't hardly know anything so simple diagrams would be much appreciated :)

    Thanks very much.
  2. SgtWookie


    Jul 17, 2007
    Well, the link to the E-bay auction doesn't work, as you didn't use the "Insert Link" function (globe above a chain link) so the bulletin board software chopped a big chunk out of the middle.

    I think you're really going to need more like a DPDT switch; one side to control the audio path (effect or plain output) and the other to control the effects' power (on or off).

    But, I don't see your effects unit schematic, nor a schematic of how your guitar pickup is wired, so I'm afraid I won't be of much help.
  3. kkazem

    Active Member

    Jul 23, 2009

    In order to help you, I need a spec on your existing switch and it's not on Ebay anymore (the link you provided has expired). So, do you homework and provide a datasheet for the switch.

    Just because it has 4 pins doesn't mean that it won't work. It may need some extra electronics (very inexpensive and small). Or it is possible that the way your existing switch works, it may be impractical to use (not impossible).

    Anyway, to start with, it's sort of a rule here that most guys won't help you unless you put in a properly uploaded attachment to a pdf, jpeg, tiff, MS Word, or other common file type (even MS Paint). You didn't do this on your existing post and I won't waste my time trying to look-up your switch. I have better things to do. I don't mind helping you, but you've got to help the helpers with the best info that you can give us. Attachments are much preferred over links in general for the reason that links often get removed with no forwarding link.

    TO upload an attachment, use the paperclip tool. It's at the top of the post area, along with all the other tools. And if your confused, there is a help post on this by the people who run this site I believe. It should be in this same forum (General Electronics Chat) and it would be one of the first few posts in the forum. If its not there, try doing a search.

    Kamran Kazem
  4. Cookie2011

    Thread Starter New Member

    Feb 21, 2011
    Hey guys, sorry about all that I'm new here :D here's the switch I've got

    How do I wire up an SPST push to make momentary switch in place of this?

    Sorry, and thanks.
    • s.png
      File size:
      37.3 KB
  5. SgtWookie


    Jul 17, 2007
    Those are known as "tactile switches".
    Most of them are SPST N.O.
    If you used a meter on the switch, you would most likely find out that the left and right pins towards the front are connected together, and the left and right pins towards the rear are connected together.
    When you push the button, all four pins are connected.
    Have a look at this datasheet:
    Here's another datasheet covering more types of tactile switches from another manufacturer:$file/B3F_1110.pdf
  6. spinnaker

    AAC Fanatic!

    Oct 29, 2009
    And they can be fairly small. They are designed to mount right to your printed circuit board. There really isn't a way to mount them otherwise except for maybe gluing.

    Would this fit you needs?

    It makes lining things up on your control panel a bit of a challenge. My laserjet uses them. What HP did was to have a mechanical device that appears to be a switch but is really just an arm that when pressed, pushes the tactile switch.

    The do come in a number of sizes. They also come in different lengths for the piece that you actually push.