help please

andrea86

Joined Sep 30, 2010
Does anyone have any tutorial about cmos tg dynamic shift register?
I need an explaination how this circuit works.

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Hmph.... good question.

It may need both edges (positive going and negative going) to complete a cycle.

With overlapping clocks, it wont get both.

I may be completely wrong, but hopefully someone proving me wrong will help you more ;)

andrea86

Joined Sep 30, 2010
As you see this register is consist of two dynamic d lip flop.
I need to prove why this circuit can't work with overlapping clocks.

andrea86

Joined Sep 30, 2010
I really need help because I know that when we use overlapping
clocks all transmission gates are on at the same time.

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Are those "pump" thingies inbetween the inverters transmission gates? If so and I get the notion of overlapping clocks correctly, here is a thought:

If high pulses from both clocks coincide in the same time moment, then both φ1 and φ2 gates will allow a signal to pass through. In that case v1 will have an uninhibited path through 4 NOT gates towards the output of the circuit, banishing the essense of the shift register.

For the circuit to work correctly, HIGH pulses from both clocks must never overlap.

P.S. By the way, I think the output of a disabled transmission gate is high-Z, and I don't know if this would work for our circuit. A latch would make more sense. Maybe this symbol already stands for a latch and I have proven that "I age whilst always learning".

andrea86

Joined Sep 30, 2010
This shift register have 4 cmos transmission gates and 4 cmos inverters.
I know if Phi1 and Phi2 are high at the same time(clcok overlap) all transmission gates are on at the same time,and data can pass through all stages at the same time.

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Try induction (sorta):

If clk(i) is HIGH, then TG(i) conducts and the result from NOT(i-1) is fed to the Gates of NOT(i). Thus signal(i-1)=NOT signal(i).

So if in a continuous branch you have clk(i)=HIGH in a given moment, i=k...j, then you have signal(j)=NOT signal(k) if j-k is odd or
signal(j)=signal(k) if j-k is even.

This result is not acceptable, as it would be expected after j-k clock cycles, by definition of the Shift Register.

Or you could outdo yourself and simulate the whole thing, blowing any suspicions away.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
If θ1 and θ2 are high at the same time, then Vo8=Vi and the final sate of Vo8 will be determined by the sate of Vi when either θ1 or θ2 goes low (It does not matter which). The value if Vi would be passed all the way throiugh, not shifted through.

Edit:
{Further explanation of this. Since the tranmission gate inverts and the inverters also invert when enabled, if both θ1 and θ2 are high, then:

--> Vo1 = -(Vi), (i'm using -(x) to denote NOT x)
and Vo2 = -(V01) --> Vo2 = Vi
and Vo3 = -(Vo2) --> Vo3 = -(Vi)
and Vo4 = -(Vo3) --> Vo4 = Vi
and Vo5 = -(Vo4) --> Vo5 = -(vi)
and Vo6 = -(Vo5) --> Vo6 = vi
and Vo7 = -(Vo6) --> Vo7 = -(vi)
and Vo8 = -(Vo7) --> Vo8 = vi

There is certainly are more elegant way to express this, but you have to do something, right?}

However, if θ1 and θ2 do not over lap then;

Given the SR starts from a reset (t0) condition (Vo2=L; Vo4=L; Vo6=L; Vo8=L)

and following the state table below:

-------Condition------:----------Result---------------
t1a, θ1=H, θ2=L, Vi=H --> Vo2=H; Vo4=L; Vo6=L; Vo8=L
t1b, θ1=L, θ2=H, Vi=x --> Vo2=H; Vo4=H; Vo6=L; Vo8=L
t2a, θ1=H, θ2=L, Vi=L --> Vo2=L; Vo4=H; Vo6=H; Vo8=L
t2b, θ1=L, θ2=H, Vi=x --> Vo2=L; Vo4=L; Vo6=H; Vo8=H
t3a, θ1=H, θ2=L, Vi=L --> Vo2=L; Vo4=L; Vo6=L; Vo8=H
t3b, θ1=L, θ2=H, Vi=x --> Vo2=L; Vo4=L; Vo6=L; Vo8=L

So, the only way for the shift register to work is for θ1 and θ2 to not overlap.

Last edited:

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
I 'm quite positive that the transmission gate doesn't invert the signal it transmits.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_gate

Its control pin might be complementary, but that depends on the way you hook it up.
Right you are, my error. So then it becomes,

Vo1 = Vi
and Vo2 = -(V01) --> Vo2 = -(Vi), (i'm using -(x) to denote NOT x)

and Vo3 = Vo2 --> Vo3 = -(Vi)
and Vo4 = -(Vo3) --> Vo4 = Vi
and Vo5 = Vo4 --> Vo5 = Vi
and Vo6 = -(Vo5) --> Vo6 = -(Vi)
and Vo7 = Vo6 --> Vo7 = -(Vi)
and Vo8 = -(Vo7) --> Vo8 = Vi

Which has the same net effect in the end.

andrea86

Joined Sep 30, 2010
-------Condition------:----------Result---------------
t1a, θ1=H, θ2=L, Vi=H --> Vo2=H; Vo4=L; Vo6=L; Vo8=L
t1b, θ1=L, θ2=H, Vi=x --> Vo2=H; Vo4=H; Vo6=L; Vo8=L
t2a, θ1=H, θ2=L, Vi=L --> Vo2=L; Vo4=H; Vo6=H; Vo8=L
t2b, θ1=L, θ2=H, Vi=x --> Vo2=L; Vo4=L; Vo6=H; Vo8=H
t3a, θ1=H, θ2=L, Vi=L --> Vo2=L; Vo4=L; Vo6=L; Vo8=H
t3b, θ1=L, θ2=H, Vi=x --> Vo2=L; Vo4=L; Vo6=L; Vo8=L

When Vin=H Vo2=L.

What is x?

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Looking at the first inverter input, the inverter’s input will be whatever is at “Vin” when
Phi1 = 1. However, when Phi1 = 0, there is no logic level since the CMOS switch (transmission gate) will be off.
I mentioned that too on my first post, but I think the teacher wanted to find a simple example to work on transistor level, without adding too much complexity by adding a whole D-FF in the circuit.

It's a pretty lame excuse though, as in the end, the exercise theaches you about a cicuit that doesn't work in real life.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Looking at the first inverter input, the inverter’s input will be whatever is at “Vin” when
Phi1 = 1. However, when Phi1 = 0, there is no logic level since the CMOS switch (transmission gate) will be off. In a real
transistor there will be parasitic capacitance that maintains charge and keeps the logic level at what it
was when the CMOS switch was on.
It was mentioned this is a dynamic shift register. I think a design like this 'might' work reliably above some minimum frequency if there was sufficient gate capcitance. Dynamic RAM uses very simple cells which rely on tiny capacitances to retain state until refreshed.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
As far as this exercise is concerned, I think the proposals on posts #7 an #12 cover it. Ohter than that, you don't need to linger too much on such a theoretical circuit, in my opinion.