[S O L V E D]help please - well pump controller not operating

myckts23

Joined Feb 27, 2011
the attached is a controller box that we have never used before - straight forward - ckt breaker L1&L2 - one pressure regulator switch - L2 & SW

operation - as i understand - pressure switch low sense closes contactors to turn on "line controller" chargeing bladder tank to 60psi - contacts open in both regulator and control box - motor shuts off -

the readings in both L2 & SW in pressure switch are 123v each leg -
the readings on block on both ends od SW are 123V as well -
so line contactor has 123V on each side but does not close when pressure switch contactors close at 40psi

i know the pump is working, therefore therefore the relay, the start and run capacitors are also working -
i do not know why when the pressure switch contacts are closed the line controller contacts do not engage...

Attachments

myckts23

Joined Feb 27, 2011
Sorry, what’s the problem?
the pressure switch is intended to activate the control boc line control contacts - but does not - and when i study the diagram i see that both sides of the line controller (contactors in control box) have 123v on each already - and this is confusing me in trouble shooting - what makes the contactors engage in the control box? - sorry if i am not explaining correctly - basic issue is the pressure switch low setting closing contactors or activating magnets doe snot turn pump on in control box and it should...but i do not see how

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Try to post a title that says a bit more about the thread. "help please - controller" is of not help to anyone.

myckts23

Joined Feb 27, 2011
i edited title - well pump replacement came with a controller - the older versions of deep well pumps were panel ckt breaker to pressure switch, pressure to pump - easy peezy - now they install controller box that houses start and run capacitors -
the following is how i understand the operation - but the schematic is confusing for me to trouble shoot - please keep in mind the pump operates if i close the contacts in upper left of schematic - thereby by passing the pressure switch - BUT - a big butt - the pressure switch contacts close when the pump needs to turn on (40psi lower limit state) and operate pump to recharge the system (close contacts in control box)- this is not happening - I have traced the diagram several times and am 99.98% certain i have the pressure switch with L2 and SW but the closing of the contacts in pressure switch, when pressure drops to 40psi does not activate pump - (close the contacts in control box - upper left in schematic) - i do not know where it is faulting...
again the pump works so i have assumed relay and both start and run capacitors operate as intended

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Thanks, much better.
Now we know it is a controller for a well pump without having to dig into the thread to find out.

myckts23

Joined Feb 27, 2011
Your pressure switch isn't working or isn't wired correctly.
interesting - i have it wired the way it would be without controller - should it matter if both L2&SW are on same side? in image i have it on opposite sides - if i moved both wires to one side- when the magnet engages at low pressure - wouldn't that provide 220v on one leg? since the contactor connects both screws?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
interesting - i have it wired the way it would be without controller - should it matter if both L2&SW are on same side? in image i have it on opposite sides - if i moved both wires to one side- when the magnet engages at low pressure - wouldn't that provide 220v on one leg? since the contactor connects both screws?
Yep, I see it plain as day now, not sure how I missed it first time around. Your pressure switch has 2 sets of contacts; one on the left, one on the right. You have a red wire going to the far left and a black one to the far right. You need to move one one of those wires over to be beside the other wire, doesn't matter which one. They should both be on left or both be on right.