help please auto chicken coop door

simondowding

Joined Apr 7, 2011
Hi ,Very new to electronics . My son has chickens which he keeps up at his allotment and I've seen this devise which automatically opens the pop door in the morning and closes it at night. I was hoping that someone could possible show me a design with parts list and I could give it to him to build.
Now this design would need to run off small batteries as no electic on site and ideally works with a small timer . I've seen some designs which will open and not close , ones which work on a car battery ultilising a electric aerial. But I would like a small battery design.
Any help would be much appreciated , but please explain fully as very new to this.

mbxs3

Joined Oct 14, 2009
What about solar panels? You could use solar panels to provide the power, and have a battery supply there for back up incase of inclement weather or something. I would think that with just a battery set-up, you would have to be constantly checking to make sure it hasn't drained and the door is operating as it needs to be.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Have you searched the forum yet? This is not the first thread about auto-chicken doors.

I dont recall if the other(s) were completed, but a search may help get you started.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Do you really need to open and close the door, or just latch and unlatch it? Motors to move the door won't last long on battery power. A latch mechanism could work with solar recharging.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
As I recall this is around the 6th or 7th request. There is some very deep prior art on this site. All About Birds?