Help Needed with DC Transformer Pinout

moocrow

Joined Apr 3, 2011
SgtWookie - thanks, that makes much more sense about the diode! However, I have tried putting the schematic together, reversing the pin 5 diode as suggested, but am still getting 6VDC out of the transformer (with 6VDC in).

I have tried two transistors, a BC141 and a 2N5551, both with the same result. If I remove the transistor altogether, the result remains the same. My circuit is pictured below - same attempt from two different angles:

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Did you remember to update the pins to match the datasheet for the transformer?

Here's the schematic with the corrected pin numbers and the diode flipped:

[eta] You really need to have a small cap on the output, with a 1MEG bleeder resistor. Without the capacitor, you'll only see rippled DC on the output. Without the resistor, it would take a LONG time for the capacitor to discharge.

Attachments

moocrow

Joined Apr 3, 2011
Thank you for the revised schematic and all the other help.

The first time I built the circuit based on the original version of the kronjaeger schematic, I matched the transformer pinout with the photo of the transformer on his website. I remembered to put the diode in the right way. This, as I reported, gave me 6VDC out of the transformer.

I have tried again using your schematic, matching the pinout to the datasheet, rather than the photo. This time it gave me 0V out.

It may therefore be the oscillator. I have tried two NPN transistors, a BC141-10 and a 2N5551 - should these be OK? I've had a look for alternative transistor oscillator schematics online but while I've found a huge amount of reference material, I haven't been able to find a general purpose/generic schematic which I can try adapting. Do you know where I might find one or is kronjaeger's definitely OK (I'm a bit unconvinced after the diode)?

PatrackKing - I've tried your idea for achieving the same effect with LEDs, with some limited results, but will post in a separate thread.