Help needed on single phase pump.

KAKTUS

Joined Jul 3, 2008

I have been given a small single phase 3 speed Grunfos circulating pump that will be ideal for our outside pond if I can get it working.

It apparently got moisture into it's terminal block and had a catastrophic flash over which frazzled the connections and blew off the terminal cover.

The above mudmap is what is shown when I checked it with a multi meter, None of the internal coils seem to be down to earth.

Also a 5uf 400v capacitor came with it.

Anyone have any idea how it should be connected to the capacitor and mains to run at maximum speed?

Any help will be appreciated.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Before you go much further, considering its history, I would run a Hi-Pot test on the coils - to - shell / ground. Any pix available of what is left of the terminal block, since you appear to have two unused coils there.

KAKTUS

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Before you go much further, considering its history, I would run a Hi-Pot test on the coils - to - shell / ground. Any pix available of what is left of the terminal block, since you appear to have two unused coils there.
Thanks for your response PackratKing, Coil insulation above ground is OK.
I will try to post a photo of the terminal block if you think it will help.
All coils are available for use as the pump was a 3 speed motor, I only want to connect the appropriate coil and capacitor for the fastest speed.
How the 5uf 400v capacitor fits into the circuit is the main thing I think.

KAKTUS

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Thanks for your response PackratKing, Coil insulation above ground is OK.
I will try to post a photo of the terminal block if you think it will help.
All coils are available for use as the pump was a 3 speed motor, I only want to connect the appropriate coil and capacitor for the fastest speed.
How the 5uf 400v capacitor fits into the circuit is the main thing I think.
I can't find the terminal block which shouldn't be a problem as the mud map shows the 3 individual coils and their impedances.
It should be straight foreward for someone with the knowledge on how this type of single phase motor is internally wired.

KAKTUS

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I can't find the terminal block which shouldn't be a problem as the mud map shows the 3 individual coils and their impedances.
It should be straight foreward for someone with the knowledge on how this type of single phase motor is internally wired.
Judging from the responses to this query the internal connections must be more complicated than I thought!

Teri

Joined Apr 3, 2009
Just a guess based on past experience. One of these should work and the other one won't. The second figure is most likely. If the pump runs backwards, reverse the wires to terminals one and two. GL, Teri

Attachments

KAKTUS

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Just a guess based on past experience. One of these should work and the other one won't. The second figure is most likely. If the pump runs backwards, reverse the wires to terminals one and two. GL, Teri
Thanks Teri, I'll give it a try, The worst thing that can happen is It'll blow a circuit breaker.