help needed on cadsoft eagle

vinodquilon

Joined Dec 24, 2009
How can I change the default pin positions of Eagle library components ?
By which I can root component-to-component connections in a schematic as I like.
For example in NE555 symbol I want to change pins 6 & 7 from the left side to bottom side.

Razor Concepts

Joined Oct 7, 2008
You will have to modify the library the part is in, then modify the device, remove the original connections, and reconnect the symbol pins to the package pins.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Along the lines of what Razor Concepts was saying...

You need to copy/create a new Symbol for the device.

Package = what appears on the board.
Symbol = what appears on the schematic.
Device = the combination of the above.

If you mess things up, your project obviously won't work. It may take you a few tries to get things right.

I like the symbol used for the ICM7555 in the Maxim libraries better than the *555 in the linear library.

vinodquilon

Joined Dec 24, 2009
I am not an expert of Eagle library editor.
How can I reduce the size of library components as I can possible in the case of texts in Eagle ?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The Symbols are what is displayed on the schematic.

The Packages are what is displayed in the board layout.

The Devices are what you select from the schematic editor; they are created by first giving the device a name, and placing at least one Symbol in the main window, then adding at least one Package to the device, and connecting up the pins.

If you want to change the appearance of an existing device on the schematic, I suggest that you create a new Symbol and copy the original symbol into it, then make the desired appearance changes. Then create a new Device with a name similar to the original device, and add packages/connect pins as the original device has.

vinodquilon

Joined Dec 24, 2009
How can I avoid all component names in my schematic as it looking so bad
on the final schematic ?

I only want component value as identification in my schematic, not their names.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Click on View, then Display/Hide Layers, and de-select Names.

It is usually not a good thing to de-select Names if you wish to share the schematic with others. The Names field serves as a reference designator, and resolves any possible ambiguity about which component is being discussed.