help me wire up an Omron H3Y-2 delay timer?

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
PDF describing this device
http://www.ia.omron.com/data_pdf/data_sheet/h3y_ds_e_4_2_csm92.pdf
Page 9 and 10 show some wire hookups.

I apparently misunderstood how this is supposed to work.
I thought if you connect DC power to pins 13- and 14+, that the relay would click on?? And stay on for xx seconds until the timer went out even if the DC power turns off.
What happens is the PW led lights up and that is all it does.
When the DC power turns off, the led light goes off.
These are new, are they defective?
I have both the timer and the base.

I was looking to use this for 2 small projects on the boat.

First was an electric toilet. I have a momentary on push button that runs head pump, push it is on, let go it is off. How can you use this timer to make it so you push the button and when let it go this timer keeps the power on for xx seconds? Perhaps a switch that is always on and push it goes off?
So then timer would go on with dc power and stay on for xx seconds? And push button again to start cycle over?
See I dont understand how the timer is supposed to function.

Second was the engine oil pressure switch pulsing 12 vdc on and off at idle. I think I cant use this timer like I thought.

JMW

Joined Nov 21, 2011
It has been a decade or so since I've used these, but here goes. The power voltage must be on for the duration of the cycle. Once power is applied, the timer circuit will operate. So is what you need to do is apply power to a timer relay, the contacts of this relay will supply power to operate the timer relay. Example ground pin 14. Tie pin to 4 to pin 13. Tie pin 12 to 12 VDC. Apply your momentary switch to pin 13. The relay closes for period "x" This period will should be of sufficient length to "flush the head". Contacts 9 and 5 operate the flush cycle. Hopefully they are rated sufficiently to operate the head, otherwise an additional relay will be needed.
As for your engine alarm. I recommend you use a relay to open the low oil sender when the tach reads below 1000 RPM or what ever level you determine. Many tachs run off the alternator, should be relatively simple to build a 555 timer circuit to do just that. As you owe me big time for the timer advice, how 'bout designing the circuit, I'm currently working on a boat and this will be a great idea. Just kidding on the last, but I'll bounce it off the owner and see if he wants me to add it to is list. I think we came up with something.

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Hi, thanks for responding

Your saying
Example ground pin 14
The pin 14 has a + sign, does this matter?

Ok thinking of what your saying. Pin 12 gets 12vdc+
pin 4 to pin 13

Apply your momentary switch to pin 13.
Now my momentary switch how does this connect into pin 13?
please clear this up

Last edited:

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Ok, I played around with these, they are not very good. One is broken.
Dial indicator for seconds is very rough meaning set for 10 seconds it is 7 seconds, etc...

They are DELAY timers.
Apply 12vdc power to 13 and 14 observing polarity

What happens is the power LED will light up.
Then after ax xx delay, depending on where the dial is set, the relay will activate. Once activated the relay is engaged, both LED are lit, and the timer will use power continually.

The one that is broken always comes on with no delay. Although for a few tries it functioned normally.
So are they about worthless for my apps? Wasted money on them. Garbage, IMO.

What I really want is a timer that runs for xx seconds then shuts off the relay. Anyone have a link?

Use for toilet, means relay will always be sucking power?

Thinking about it, I would need a different type momentary switch. One that is always on, then push it in goes off.
Pushing in button will reset the relay, toilet runs xx seconds. Then relay activates opening circuit. Relay stays energized. till you push button again.
Bad thing about this is if you loose power to the circuit, then when you restore power, toilet will always run xx seconds, then relay will stay activated using up battery power, which could drain the batteries. On a boat you dont want to needlessly use up power.
Another bad thing is say relay fails, which it likely will seeing quality and on a boat. Then toilet motor just runs forever!
Real bad seeing the toilet cost $499. And it could even overheat and start a fire.

Last edited:

JMW

Joined Nov 21, 2011
These are exactly what you want. Sorry about the polarity, follow the spec sheet.
Your momentary switch provides power (12 Volts) to start the relay, once it is started, one set of N.O. contacts supplies power to keep the relay "latched" for the time needed (7 seconds). The other set of N.O. contacts provides power to the head. The time must be accurate as you can waste a fair amount of water in 3 seconds.