Help me! Urgent

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I'm surprised that you all say he needs a larger power supply. What is wrong with a voltage doubler to supply the regulator? Of course he will need twice the current, but he didn't say that would be a problem.
Why double it when the whole thing will work (more efficiently even!) at a lower voltage? Run the whole setup off maybe 2.5V and there should be no problem with voltage.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Using a switching regulator and a full wave rectifier should work, though I will still suggest operating at a lower voltage.

MocGames

Joined May 10, 2013
so what about using a buck booster circuit to feed the Arduino after it has been rectified and regulated to correct the problem the Arduino has with the gradual fall off in voltage. As it is this that is causing all my problems. any suggestions welcomed! :)

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Why boost your voltage to 5V? The ATMEGA can operate down to 1.8V. You might as well use a lower voltage, and avoid more losses in your design.

Doing it with a boost would mean losses at the conversion, and more losses in larger resistors used to current limit your LEDs, assuming you aren't using constant current drivers.

Looking into bridge rectifiers will give you all you need to know....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_(electrical)
^ = Suggestion

MocGames

Joined May 10, 2013
After finding this buck boost circuit evaluation board I was able to solve the power problems related to the dynamo supply. For anyone interested see images. Thanks for all the help guys!

Attachments