help me! please

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by new_bro, Jun 19, 2010.

  1. new_bro

    Thread Starter New Member

    Jan 30, 2009
    i am using 100 amp lead acid battery since last 1 year for domestic use now after 1 year i have problem that few cells of my battery gets overheated while charging and discharging heating occurs only at charging and discharging and only with two middle cells other cells has normal temperature,other cells has as room temp(20-30) and middle two cells has upto 50 celcious , i am shaking battery every day and i filled distilled water up to upper level while it was in lower lever 1 month ago ,After this problem i am not being able to use enough the storage capacity has come almost 40% my country load shedding runs for one third period of per day .please suggest me if there is any solution.
  2. SgtWookie


    Jul 17, 2007
    The problem is that you are cycling your battery too deeply and drawing too much power from it. This results in the battery internal temperature rising quite high, and accelerating the wear on it.

    Elevating the internal temperature of the battery by 30°C decreases the service life by 2/3 due to the increased chemical activity.

    Discharging a battery more than 30% will shorten its' service life. Discharging a battery to 50% will reduce it's service life by 2/3 or more. A battery that measures 12.7v when fully charged at room temperature (25°C) is considered fully discharged at 11.4v.

    You need to use a battery or bank of batteries that are rated for the load you are placing on them. Alternatively, reduce your load on the battery/batteries. Make certain that they have adequate ventilation.

    There is not a way to repair the damage that has occurred to your battery or batteries. It/they must be replaced.
    new_bro likes this.
  3. retched

    AAC Fanatic!

    Dec 5, 2009
    Adding to SgtWookies statement, that I agree with completely..

    You will want to be sure to increase your banks capacity, and replace this battery soon.

    Resulting shorts and high temperatures can lead to fires, and or melt down or rupture.

    If you use this battery indoors, you should have this in a pan that can handle a spill or overflow of the electrolyte, and this battery box should have outside air ventilation to expel the TOXIC and FLAMMABLE gases to the outdoors where they can be safely dissipated.

    You may want to meter your discharge levels (And by 'may' I mean 'should') to keep your battery lasting its full life, and reducing the possibility of accident.

    As the sarge said, 30% is about where you want to stop discharging.

    You have a 100AH battery, you do not want to use more than 30 amps.

    If you require 100AH worth of usage, you should really have 4 of these batteries.

    Even though the initial cost seems steep, the smaller draw from each individual cell will prolong the life of the batteries as a whole.

    At the rate you will be replacing batteries, you will spend more over the years replacing the overly discharged batteries then you will on setting up a proper bank.

    Also, be sure to get deep cycle batteries. Marine and car (starter) batteries are not the same beast as a true "DEEP CYCLE" battery.

    Car(starter) batteries use a lead mesh(mush) to enable more surface area for the electrolyte to contact, creating short-lived high currents. They are meant to start the car, and then let the alternator take over powering the vehicle accessories.

    Marine are a mix between starter and deep cycle. They have more dense material for the lead plates, but still not the nice thick plates that a true deep cycle have.

    Here is some 'required reading' for anyone using and charging there own batteries outside of a standard manufacturer setup.
    new_bro likes this.