Help me please

illyjay216

Joined Sep 23, 2009
Hello, some kid decided it would be funny to send me something through AIM, the second it downloaded my computer started acting funny, 5 minutes later my computer randomly loggs itself into a vent server that was not saved to my list, and people were talking, saying if i didnt send them $50 on paypal they would complety F**** my computer. I turned off my computer for about 15 minutes, logged in on safemode and deleted the file he sent me, logged back on windows normally then used system restore to a week ago. Then I redid my windows firewall settings, and everything else. This person was able to see me though my webcam, and was pretty much stalking me. I doubt its even worth calling the police, but I need help on making sure this doesnt happen again. I mean hell, hes probably reading what im typing now. Please help me get this idiot outa my computer

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You may have had a rootkit installed. If none of the available virus cleaners will work, you may need to format the HD and use the system disks to reinstall the OS and drivers.

If you were relying on the Windows firewall alone, be aware that you need active antivirus apps too. AVG and Avast have free versions, and work very well. Ad-Aware and Spybot are good about keeping malware out of your computer.

One very good practice is to avoid all social networking sites. Another way to stay better protected is to run some web browser other than IE. Opera or Firefox have better protections built in.

If you saved that message about the $50 demand, it's proof of an extortion demand. You can get the FBI to look into it.

illyjay216

Joined Sep 23, 2009
Thank you for your advice

but i did save an image of the $50 demand, but did no good as it got deleted by them before i was able to email it to my gf so that she could hold onto it. Thanks for your advice, i plan to reformat here shortly, not looking forward to installing world of warcraft again =/

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
Run 'Combofix' and 'Marwarebytes Anti-Malware' - probably best to download them onto a USB memory via another PC and keep the one with the problem offline.

Also, many of the big antvirus vendors have free online scanner & fix tools for rootkits, eg. blacklight from www.f-secure.com

Check the www.majorgeeks.com and www.bleepingcomputer.com sites for the other download links and help on dealing with specific malware infections, there are experts there who will walk you through the fixes.