help me pleas "asynchronous binary up counter "

mmu

Joined Dec 25, 2005
i know that might be easy , this is a one question in my assignment that i couldnot solve , i know how to design a 5-bit counter that count 0 to 31 but i donot know how to mae it from 0 to 29 pleas help me this is the question :

a) Design a 5-bit asynchronous binary up counter that counts from 0 to 29 using T flip-flops. Briefly explain and draw the circuitry of the design [3 marks].

B) Design a 5-bit parallel-in parallel-out shift register using D flip-flops to store the 5-bit asynchronous binary up counter outputs. Briefly explain and draw the complete circuitry of the design including the counter and register [2 marks].

peajay

Joined Dec 10, 2005
> i know how to design a 5-bit counter that count 0 to 31 but i donot know how to mae it from 0 to 29

Well, I have no idea what a T flip-flop is, but generally the way you make a counter count to a specific number is to connect some logic gates to it so that when it reaches the number after that number, it resets to zero. So you'd use like a 4-input AND gate connected to bits 1 though 4, ignoring bit 0, so that when the counter reaches 30 the output of the AND gate becomes 1, which triggers the counter to reset to 0. I'm pretty sure that works on asynchronous counters as well as synchronous ones.

mmu

Joined Dec 25, 2005
thank u very much peajay , i'm working on it now and i hope it will work

if any one has another answer for part A and any answer for B plz help me ASAP
THANX IN ADVANCED

maja

Joined Dec 22, 2005
There are 5 flip-flops(ff) T0,T1..Name the ff outs with Q0,Q1..,Q4.Binary representation of 29 is 11101 ,so you pull Q4 AND Q3 AND Q2 AND(NOTQ1)AND Q0,an that's the signal(S) to reset the counter.If it doesn't have Clear or Reset,you simulate it with T0=(Q0 AND S)OR(something that's already connected to T0 input).
Maby this will help: