Help me! I'm very need to your help, design traffic light with IC

mickeykhuongtran112

Joined Nov 25, 2021
Hi all member, my English is not good but I need to your help for my project.
I'm being order design traffic light with IC digital(only choose IC: 74LS138,74LS148,74LS151,74LS47,74LS85,74LS283) or flip-flop
Time to light:
RED: 5s
Yellow: 2s
Green: 3s
I don't know do this project with IC but I only know use processor to programming!
Help me! And thank you your reading!!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

For school work, we are only allowed to give guidance. You need to give us something to work with.

1. Do you know the function of each of the IC's?
  2. Do they provide the functions you think you need to implement the circuit?
  3. Are you allowed to use AND and OR gates?

mickeykhuongtran112

Joined Nov 25, 2021
Welcome to AAC!

For school work, we are only allowed to give guidance. You need to give us something to work with.

1. Do you know the function of each of the IC's?
  2. Do they provide the functions you think you need to implement the circuit?
  3. Are you allowed to use AND and OR gates?
Thank you for your suggestion. I was instructed about the function of the IC's, and my professor asked me implement this project with this IC's. I allowed to use basic gate(ex: NOT,AND,OR,...)
I hope you can suggest me with this project. Thanks a again a lot!

mickeykhuongtran112

Joined Nov 25, 2021
Hello,

Have a look at the datasheets of the chips.
That way you can see what the chip is doing.
Attached a digital logic databook, where you can find all the mentioned chips.

Bertus
Thank you for your advice, respect the saying:
"When you do ask questions, you may look stupid.
When you do NOT ask questions, you will STAY stupid."

mickeykhuongtran112

Joined Nov 25, 2021
Then you know enough to solve the problem. Show us a block diagram or truth table for your solution.
The problem is that I'm stuck on how to design these ICs together. I have consulted many information sources but mainly use other types of ICs with 555 ICs but unfortunately these ICs I have not learned yet! Because of this knowledge, I have only learned for 1 week and have to do a project that I find quite difficult in terms of applying new knowledge!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When you look at the timing and you break them up in 1 second steps, you will have 5 steps of red, 2 steps of yellow and 3 steps of green.
Can you make a counter that makes 10 steps and decode the 5, 2 and 3 steps from it?

Bertus

mickeykhuongtran112

Joined Nov 25, 2021
Do any of the IC's you listed seem like they would help with the circuit you're supposed to design?

Are you allowed to use a 555 timer as the clock for your circuit?
Unfortunately, my professor only allows me to use the basic decoders as I mentioned above and the basic ports, but does not allow the use of ICs outside of the program, which means that the problem is not using the 555 for the design of traffic lights
Best regards!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
which means that the problem is not using the 555 for the design of traffic lights
How are you going to generate your 1 second clock? How are any of the IC's you've been given to use going to help solve the problem?

Generally when you're given a problem to solve, you're given the tools to do that. Have you used those IC's in similar applications?

It would be helpful if you posted the complete text for the problem so we can understand how you're expected to use IC's that wouldn't normally be used for this type of problem.

mickeykhuongtran112

Joined Nov 25, 2021
How are you going to generate your 1 second clock? How are any of the IC's you've been given to use going to help solve the problem?

Generally when you're given a problem to solve, you're given the tools to do that. Have you used those IC's in similar applications?

It would be helpful if you posted the complete text for the problem so we can understand how you're expected to use IC's that wouldn't normally be used for this type of problem.
i plan to use binary subtractor using 74LS283 for countdown time

mickeykhuongtran112

Joined Nov 25, 2021
If you can't use a 555 timer, how do you generate the CLK signal? How did you implement a 3 input XOR?
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I have found the answer to my project satisfactorily from your guidance suggestions. One more time thank you very much. Good luck to you!
Respect!