HELP ME :( i need to make a 12volt to 2v high amp transformer

jkwalkercchs

Joined May 13, 2009
trying to go from 12v dc to 2v dc 200-300a i typed a whole page and it didnt post i will explain if u ask loli searched and am still confusedi basically need to know what kind of wire to use for winding? was informed i cant use stranded which sucks cause i have tons of itwhat to use for a core?proper winding and how much?and so on any help will be greatly appreciated i will give u a hint your help is gonna help me research the effects of hydrogen on high performance motors

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Transformers are for AC only.
To transform 12 DC to 2 Volts DC you can use a switching regulator.
The current you demand is very large.

Greetings,
Bertus

jkwalkercchs

Joined May 13, 2009
again thanks for the help but i have no ideal what in the world im looking at can u give me a switching regulators for dummies manual lol

steinar96

Joined Apr 18, 2009
hmm, sounds like building a switching power supply is a bit out of your scope atm. You might have to buy a power supply or find someone that can build it for you. Builing a switching power supply from scratch aint exactly an easy job. There are some books on switching power supplies but they require some knowledge of electronics.

2V at 200-300A is quite alot of power. We are talking about 400-600W which usually requires sophisticated design.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Getting someone to build one(1) of something will be a pricey proposition. I would undertake to do the design and provide you with a single, hand built prototype for about $8,000.00 in 90-120 days subject to parts availability.

jkwalkercchs

Joined May 13, 2009
holy heck just to take 12 volts to 2???it it that complex i figured there would be some kind of voltage regulator available for that even if i had to run 3 that were rated at 70 amps a peice should be plenty at that price i would be better off adding another alternator just to make 2 volts

Last edited by a moderator:

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
holy heck just to take 12 volts to 2???it it that complex i figured there would be some kind of voltage regulator available for that even if i had to run 3 that were rated at 70 amps a peice should be plenty at that price i would be better off adding another alternator just to make 2 volts
Just curious... What do you want this for?

Last edited by a moderator:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
A run of the mill voltage regulator is good for an Amp or maybe 1.5 Amps. Your requirement of 200-300 Amps will probably require multiple FETS as pass elements controlled by an SMPS controller and some honking big inductors and copious amounts 0000 ga wire (possibly a slight exageration). If you think you can design it and build it cheaper, then I double dog dare you to try. I'd also be real surprised if you can buy something like that. Maybe one of the other forum members can underbid me, but I'd be real interested in the final margin on such an underbid. This is also something I don't think you want to do as a breadboard. At least one PCB turn will be required, and probably two. I also worry about core saturation and heating in the inductors. High current design is what it is.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
again thanks for the help but i have no ideal what in the world im looking at can u give me a switching regulators for dummies manual lol
Power Supplies, Switching Regulators, Inverters, And Converters By Irving M. Gottlieb. As noted by steinar96, this subject is not beginner-level. Fussing with that many amps is NOT simple. I suggest you begin here: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/index.html Or take PapaBravo up on his very generous offer. Not too many folk would do such a thing for so little money. (Did I mention working with so many amps is a complex issue?)
Your requirement of 200-300 Amps will probably require multiple FETS as pass elements controlled by an SMPS controller and some honking big inductors and copious amounts 0000 ga wire (possibly a slight exageration).
No exaggeration. The charts list 225 A as maximum for 0000 in an enclosure. I think a nice toasty car engine counts as an enclosure. I'd go 250kCmil minimum, if I were to attempt something of this nature.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Another option, if you could do without the 12V input and just run it off the grid, find some transformer supplier and have them make the voltage you need for you. Waaay cheaper and easier.

Anyway, I am curious too. What do you need such weird voltage and amperage for?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
If you can find a 6V lead-acid battery with exposed strapping, cut straps and parallel cells for 2V @ around 400 A. re jumper to 6V and charge with 6V battery charger. Do'nt laugh, I have done the splitting to make !4V batteries.1950's.