Help me for testing igbt

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If you can obtain the data sheet, it will have a test circuit included. Otherwise, you apply voltages in the correct polarities to the source (0 volts) and drain (some positive voltage - don't forget a limiting resistor), and see if the gate can be used to turn it on and off.

awright

Joined Jul 5, 2006
I basically agree with beenthere but add the caution that the gate voltage must be limited to less than the maximum listed on the data sheet(+/- 20 volts continuous relative to the emitter).

That's an IXYS number 24 amp 600 volts. I don't see the U1 suffix for this part number but it seems to designate an SOT-227B package.
<http://ixdev.ixys.com/DataSheet/DS92809i%28IXSH24N60%29.pdf>

To just see if the IGBT is alive and not open or shorted you can use any handy power supply of reasonable voltage like 40 to 100 volts for Vce, a load resistor between the positive power supply terminal and the collector that will limit current to within the power supply and IGBT ratings and with sufficient power rating, a 10K resistor from gate to emitter and another bench power supply or even one or a pair of 9v batteries in series for Vge. A low-wattage household light bulb is a handy self-indicating load resistor, even if the glow is dim due to a low power supply voltage. However, the surge through the cold filament may trip your power supply, depending upon how it handles transient overloads.

With the resistor from gate to emitter the IGBT should turn off promptly upon removal of the gate voltage. With the gate resistor removed, if the gate leakage is normally low the IGBT will stay on after removal of the gate voltage due to the charge retained on the gate. However, don't leave it in this condition for long because as the gate voltage leaks down and the IGBT begins to turn off the power dissipation could burn up the IGBT. You can turn off the IGBT by shorting the gate to the emitter.

This obviously does not tell you that the device meets spec, but it does tell you whether it is open or shorted or nominally functioning.
Have fun.
awright

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
Watched an outstanding Vid on You Tube for IGBT testing. 2-3 minutes and abother that was 8 minutes, covered the subject well including EMF and component protection from accidental damage during testing.
Bob