Help me build a Bait/dam boat

Joined Nov 14, 2010
Let us work on this project together, will be alot of questions and asking for your Ideas, will be challenging for us to work together thru the computer. The boat will be controlled by an model airplane controller and servos, here in Arkansas,it is unlawful to be with 100 yards of a dam, the boat will take my fishing line up to the generators and drop the line at the generators outlet,I have seen these boats in-action but did not get to see how the inter workings are. This boat will be build from scratch and will post updates as they are completed.

This is what I have thus far; the controller, the servos, the channel receiver, the wireing, the trolling motor, the 12 volt battery, 6 inch pvc pipes for the pontoons,

go here to take a peep at a boat,I found this on-linehttp://www.catfishing.tv/Main/tips-section/damboat.html

Attachments

Joined Nov 14, 2010
yep the trolling motor is running, nothing built yet still buying the parts need for the constructions just wont a better brain than mine to help with ideas.

Joined Nov 14, 2010
Are you going to make it boat shaped, as in the link above, or a platform on a pair of PVC Pontoons?
The boat will be a pontoon style made from the 6 inch PVC pipe, powered by the trolling motor shown the the other thread I posted, All ideas will be appreciated.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The boat will be controlled by an model airplane controller and servos, here in Arkansas,it is unlawful to be with 100 yards of a dam,...
It is also illegal to use model airplane receivers and transmitters for that purpose. Be sure to use radio equipment licensed for surface use.

... the boat will take my fishing line up to the generators and drop the line at the generators outlet,I have seen these boats in-action but did not get to see how the inter workings are. This boat will be build from scratch and will post updates as they are completed.
Well, it is Arkansas. In any other place, a remote controlled device made from pipe and speeding toward a dam might lead to another interpretation.

I do love Arkansas, really. Just be sure you are within the rules.

John

theanih

Joined Oct 3, 2010
wow this is indeed an interesting project.

if this is my project, i would use the servos to control the rudder and for dropping/pulling the line. how many servos do u have?
you also need to make it waterproof to avoid short-circuits as you are using it on water and take into account the forces the fishes would give if they are to take your bait. if the fish is stronger than your boat can pull, your boat would be dragged away.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
wow this is indeed an interesting project.

if this is my project, i would use the servos to control the rudder and for dropping/pulling the line. how many servos do u have?
you also need to make it waterproof to avoid short-circuits as you are using it on water and take into account the forces the fishes would give if they are to take your bait. if the fish is stronger than your boat can pull, your boat would be dragged away.
The craft itself doesn't fish, it only "casts" really far for a shore fisherman.

See link he posted for description, it carries the line out a few hundred feet, then uses a servo to "drop" the line in the water, allowing the shore fisherman to reel it in, hopefully catching something on the way.

Top Have you ever worked with fiberglass construction and finishing? This might be a good time to learn in order to end up with a nice waterproof enclosure that looks good.

I got started with fiberglass a long time ago with R/C aircraft, and have a vacuum setup for working with foam or wood cores. I've since done several enclosures for everything from subs to electronics. It is a bit messy, but the results are superb!