help me annoy my future ex boss

gee_emm

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Hi all,... Im quiting my job soon, and I want to build an electronic cricket, to drive my boss nuts (at least for the next two weeks :p). Anyway, Ive found a few schematics on the web, but none seem to work very well. Some with two transistors, some with four etc. Id like it to have a photocell, so it only turns on in the dark. If anyone has found a decent one, or have built some in the past, please let me know, or share a link? Im not getting lazy in my searching, or building,.. just a bit frustrated. Thanks in advance for helping me help him to lose a few more hairs on my way out. :D

gee_emm

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Just an add-on,.. Ive found a few kits available,...but if its found, it will be killed,.. and a few parts here and there will be cheaper than a kit,...and hopefully smaller. Thanks again.

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
Those are fair but you really need a piercing shriek just like a crickets to keep the human ear from easily finding it most piezo's are easy to find but see if one will do 18-20k with a small amount of a lower sound mixed in. If you choose a circuit post it here to see if it can be tweaked. ;) A dozen that are solar powered and judiciously placed and can listen and respond to other chirps would probably require a microcontroller. Cool but spendy.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Leave in peace. Make them miss you rather than be glad you are gone. You never know when you will need a reference or something else. John

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Bridge burning is not recommended. Oddly, you may need something from the company in the future.

hgmjr

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
I've been at my job for more the 15 years, seen many people come and go. Quite a few return a few months later, when they realize the it's not any worse then any other job. Some place have layoffs and 'down-sizing'. Who knows, sometimes any job is a good job.

I'd be a little concerned about the terror issue. Maybe they take this as simple warning, maybe the next gadget you leave is a little more serious. Really not worth risking a panic (like the city of Boston and some LED signs...). Could get blown way out of proportion.

gee_emm

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Thanks for everyones replies. Im leaving on good terms tho, no bridge burning etc. Just wanted to have a little fun. All good advice though.

arthur92710

Joined Jun 25, 2007
Like jpanhalt said, you should make them miss you when you leave. My dad just switched jobs and now his old job needs him back. So he works at both until his old job finds a replacement. I bet that when they do find a replacement they will still call my dad for help.

I like that he switched jobs, In his old one he took a few weeks off in the summer to be with us and when he came back the top boss said "never again". My dad does HVAC so all the AC's were braking in the summer and he was the only one that could fix them!

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
My dad just switched jobs and now his old job needs him back.
That's the dream scenario! :D

To the OP, if it's all in jest why don't you just head down to the local joke-shop and buy one of their thousands of annoying items. Quicker, less effort, and probably cheaper in the long run ;)

Dave

gee_emm

Joined Jan 16, 2008
My last follow up,... I did end up getting a kit,...and made some small modifications, and it worked perfectly. I had a good time, cause I knew, he'd make me look for "it". We both laughed at the end of the day, he was impressed, and now hes borrowing it for his own jokes. Thanks to all who responded with help. Never thought I would have recieved so many answers on how I should leave a job, or on what terms, or how I should make them need me. All was in jest, not malicious. THE best way to go out, and Im guaranteed a place, if things dont work out. :) Thank you all,....for making me think.(but I did it my way)