Help locating a part (db25 ribbon cable)

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
I am looking for this cable, male on both ends. It's not on Jameco, and I'm not finding it on even ebay. Is there a place that has lots of cables that I can check? Oh, and I'd use the 4' male-female on Jameco with an adapter... except I really need something 6" to a foot.

Thank you

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
What I'd do is get a ribbon cable, plus a single ribbon cable connector, like this one:
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/A-DSF25LPXX-III-R/HMM25H-ND/924268

and make up the custom length I needed.
Getting these connectors on correctly the first time or two can be somewhat daunting. It's easiest to do if you have a bench vice and a helper; you need to hold the ribbon in position in the connector, the connector in the vice, and slowly close the vice until the back strap is fully seated and latched. Then trim off the end using a razor knife, like a box cutter with a fresh blade.

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
What I'd do is get a ribbon cable, plus a single ribbon cable connector, like this one:
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/A-DSF25LPXX-III-R/HMM25H-ND/924268

and make up the custom length I needed.
Getting these connectors on correctly the first time or two can be somewhat daunting. It's easiest to do if you have a bench vice and a helper; you need to hold the ribbon in position in the connector, the connector in the vice, and slowly close the vice until the back strap is fully seated and latched. Then trim off the end using a razor knife, like a box cutter with a fresh blade.
I'm sort of scared to try this out since I haven't done it -- but if I can't find what I'm looking for I'll give it a go, thanks.

Oh, and are the DB25 connectors I need made specifically to interface with ribbon cables? Or do i just cut up the ribbon cable to make individual wires and wrap them onto the connector?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The connector I linked to is made specifically for ribbon cable.
Here is the datasheet for that connector:
http://www.assmann.us/specs/A-DSF25LPXX-III-R.pdf

The image on the lower left shows the "teeth" on the bottom that bite into the cable.
The strain relief cap snaps into the main connector.

Don't snap the strain relief all the way down until you're actually installing it on the cable, as you'll probably damage it if you try to remove it.

You need to make sure that the cable is perpendicular to the connector when you snap the strain relief on.

I would think a computer repair shop would have the cable, ends and the press to attach the ends to the cable.

I'm sure they have an assortment of all that since the newer cables are serial and they aren't making that many flat ribbons anymore.

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
I'm not sure a computer repair shop would make their own cables.... ribbon cable has fallen out of favor in the computer world anyway. Well, I've found some good stuff on jameco (ends and cable both) and am going to try that out.

Thank you

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
Ok I have the parts and am trying to get the cable in. It's hard to get the back pressed on to secure the cable. Not the strain relief, but the back of the connector. Am I supposed to be using a special tool? :(