help:LIS302DL free fall detection

alexpanrui

Joined Feb 25, 2008
what is the practical use of free fall detection? I downloaded one app notes on lis302dl, in which the pseudo code of free fall detection is given. I coded it and released the sensor from certain height. According to the explanation of the pseudo code, an interrupt should be generated when free fall detected. But I was unable to receive the interrupt signal. What could go wrong?

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
"What is the practical use of free fall detection?"

(A) to idiot-proof skydiving?
(B) to allow the military to drop supplies to troops with less time of descent and/or less drifting?

--Rich

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
After you drop your laptop, to move the hard drive head quickly to an edge of the platter for protection before the laptop hits the ground?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
After you drop your laptop, to move the hard drive head quickly to an edge of the platter for protection before the laptop hits the ground?
Yes that is the only (pracitcal) use that came to my mind.

Or could be used to activate airbags when you drive off a cliff :)

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I would guess that with a selection of +/- 2 & +/- 8 G's, the zero G level is actually 1 G - normal gravity. That would make the measurement relative to that, or +3/-1 G actual.

alexpanrui

Joined Feb 25, 2008
in the pseudo code given in the app note, a threshold and a duration have been set.And the interrupt is activated if the acceleration is below the threshold for free fall. why is so?