HELP! LED problem

e3silversurfer

Joined Mar 25, 2010
Hi there everyone, I am new here and well I came across this site whilst searching for some info regarding a SOT 89 package component.

Ok, let me start from the beginning. I have have got this problem with the rear lights of my vehicle and decided to take it apart to see what the problem was. Before anyone suggests getting a replacement lamp module, I have been quoted £100 to replace it, which i think is over the top.

Basically the symtoms of the lamp are as follows. there are 22 leds on the pcb. When the "taillight" function is on, 2 of the leds do not power on but when then "brake" function is on, all leds are on.

this system uses a off, dim and bright function to operate the OFF, Tail lights and Brake lights function.

on this image, LD11 and LD12 do not turn on when the Tail light Function is on.

there are 3 chips on the pcd

1) Precision Adjustable Shunt Regulator

2) Postive Voltage Regulator

3) UNKNOWN (markings on the case is NA2... thats all :( )

Does anyone know what the last chip is? would like to hear any ideas and opinion on how to get this repaired. Thank you all very very much :)

e3silversurfer

Joined Mar 25, 2010
hey thanks for the quick response. what i am doing currently is probing the entire pcb to get a schematic drawing. I will be connecting the unit back onto the car to get a voltage reading from there when i get home tonight.