Help identifying transformer

Vizzion

Joined May 3, 2009
For my high school electronics course I was given an item and told to identify it. I believe I have been given a ei control transformer. But, I am not sure and need any guidance on what I have and the use of it in industry. I am really stumped on the connection labeling specifically what the purpose of the 5 prongs on the one side are for. I took pictures of what I have here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/38014893@N05/

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Have you done any investigating to see how many isolated windings there are? What about tapped windings? That would be a starting point. Next, I would use a current limiter (60 watt light bulb) and apply power to various windings/taps and see what the others do as far as output.

Vizzion

Joined May 3, 2009
counting the windings would tell me the type of transformer correct? I dont have a current limiter at my house but I will try this tomorrow

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Vizzion

Hopefully you are not intending to conduct experiments using the mains power supply at home.

This would be potentially lethal.

A 60W light globe may limit the test current but won't protect you from electrocution.

By all means use a low voltage power source - consult your class teacher. It would be unfortunate if you made a potential fatal error.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Good point, T_N_K ! My apologies for suggesting an unsafe test method. I forget that we are in the modern age. 50 years ago, we didn't worry nearly as much as we should have. Almost all of my nutty friends and I had unprotected Jacob's Ladders made from neon sign transformers and straightened out coat hangers in our bedrooms and marveled at how it could jump sparks through sheets of paper, used the carbon rods from D cells to make arc lights, and many other unsafe practices. Of course, that was the same era in which AC/DC tube type radios had one side of the line tied to the chassis. If it was plugged in with the plug in the wrong direction, the chassis was HOT and that was by design Oh, how the world has improved..