Help identifying component

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Was digging through an old box. I can't remember why I once bought 200 of a 74HC04N, I do remember that the 150 of a 74HCT4066D was a mistake buying as SMD instead of PDIP but I've got 50 of something I dont even know what is nor is the web telling me.

Made by Valor and numbered LT6034. They're in a 16 pin PDIP package with pins 3, 6, 11 and 14 missing so they must be some sort of relay or transformer. Anyone have a clue or better luck searching for a datasheet than I had?

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Thanks, now I really don't have a clue why I'd have them or, even worse, what I could use them for.

I wish I could find a big bag of pots somewhere, both regular and trimmer style.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
I doubt you would get as very many milliamps, but I would try putting the primaries in parallel and the secondaries in series in a small battery powered switching supply.

Just to see if you can turn 6 Volts into 18 Volts.

Just build a two transistor vibrator with current limiters and one of these chip transformer packages for the collector resistors.
Any other type of oscillator would do but I am just thinking that this little power supply could be barely bigger than its 4AAA battery case.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
Actually put two of these chip transformers on each transistors collector and reduce the battery power to only 1.5 or 3 Volts so that they are less likely to get destroyed, and see if you can make at a ±5 Volt supply.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
The thing is those are individual transformers, they're not inductively coupled to each other.

I'm seeing each winding as about 1,100 ohms of reactance at 1 MHz. They'd make a nice power supply filter choke for a very low current RF circuit so long as the inevitable coupling wasn't a problem. Other than that, hooking them all in series might make a nice common mode rejection filter.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
I know they are not inductively coupled. They are meant to be used for signal isolation. If you have any projects that could use some signal isolation then maybe they would work there.

But by wiring the primaries in parallel and the secondaries in series you should still achieve a 1:3 transformer output.

Driving the inputs together should stack their outputs.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
That I could do but even knowing the DCR is 0.3 ohms tells me nothing about their current carrying capacity, however a little semi-destructive testing would by sending current through them to see where they started to get warm.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
That I could do but even knowing the DCR is 0.3 ohms tells me nothing about their current carrying capacity, however a little semi-destructive testing would by sending current through them to see where they started to get warm.
Well, you DO have plenty to test with...

Grab your power supply, safety goggles and get going ;)

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
Use the Hex inverters with them.

I doubt the inverters can drive enough current to destroy the three primaries in parallel if they are pulsed at high enough frequency to allow reactance to have any influence.

And with batteries as a source you would be on the low end of risk.
I am also considering that if the first ones do get destroyed you won't miss one or two.

I also mentioned that you would only be able to get a few mAmps max. One of the first things I mentioned.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I just stuck them all back in the box I found them in. As with a lot of the parts I've got squirreled all over the place I'll need one some day for something, probably as isolation transformers as they were intended to be.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
Keeping them for use as signal transformers is probably a good idea.

You could wire a large building up for central computer control with that many signal lines.