Help identifying capacitors

CoximusPrime

Joined Jun 21, 2009
Hi guys,

This is probably a really simple question, but I thought I'd best ask before I go destroying things.

The attached image shows the PSU of a digital video recorder that is used to record from security cameras ... The DVR itself works fine, but it has stopped recognizing the IDE hard drive. I noticed that the capacitors are bulging, and although the power connector to the hard drive is putting out the correct voltages, the disk sounds like it is starting and stopping very quickly ... So I'm guessing the capacitors are buggered .... I could be wrong there, so if anyone has more insight, I'm all ears.

What I was going to do is to simply buy some replacement capacitors, remove the existing onces and solder the new ones in place. However, before I do that, I need to know what to buy.

The capacitors state that they are 1000μF, 25v and have a max temp of 105° .... I can't make out the manufacturer, the logo is a C with and S over the top of it ... would the 1000μF capacitors listed here http://www.rapidonline.com/Electron...w/11-2924?source=googleps&utm_source=googleps be an appropriate replacement?? Or do I NEED to replace for exact components from the same manufacturer??

Cheers everyone, and sorry if this is a stupid question.

Attachments

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Hi guys,

This is probably a really simple question, but I thought I'd best ask before I go destroying things.

The attached image shows the PSU of a digital video recorder that is used to record from security cameras ... The DVR itself works fine, but it has stopped recognizing the IDE hard drive. I noticed that the capacitors are bulging, and although the power connector to the hard drive is putting out the correct voltages, the disk sounds like it is starting and stopping very quickly ... So I'm guessing the capacitors are buggered .... I could be wrong there, so if anyone has more insight, I'm all ears.

What I was going to do is to simply buy some replacement capacitors, remove the existing onces and solder the new ones in place. However, before I do that, I need to know what to buy.

The capacitors state that they are 1000μF, 25v and have a max temp of 105° .... I can't make out the manufacturer, the logo is a C with and S over the top of it ... would the 1000μF capacitors listed here http://www.rapidonline.com/Electron...w/11-2924?source=googleps&utm_source=googleps be an appropriate replacement?? Or do I NEED to replace for exact components from the same manufacturer??

Cheers everyone, and sorry if this is a stupid question.
Nope, you dont have to have the exact manufacturer. :) All you need is a 1000uF 25V electrolytic capacitor with that 105° temperature marking. With the link you provided, the highlighted part is fine!